Earth rod | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Earth rod in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

DurhamSparky

Niggly Question!!!

earth rods located underneath customers floor boards..!

what is the rule..! if you suspect a earth rod to be located underneath the flooring of a house but cant get access to check due to laminate flooring etc what the hell do you do if customer is unsure and running a new one in will be a right pain!!

i have just the case!! fitted bonding as was not existant but there is a 16mm cable that goes off into the wall and disconnected from board i get 33 ohms..!

whats your opinion!!

hi i had a similar one recently and all i could do was to write on the test cert where it says coments on existing that rod was no visible but a good ohms reading was achieved

i will emphasis bit further now... just gauging opinion...!

ok well my mate installed some downlights in an extension on a job which was observed by me at set times, i did not have time to do work (he is a qualified sparky as well just not registered) , (he from seaham as well eziekiel)

he also moved the kitchen ring on to a rcbo, it was kitchen/down ring stuffed into a 32a MCB but never done any work in kitchen

any way the house had no bonding to water / gas so that was installed but the rod is unfound to date and like i said its probably hidden under a the floor ohms was 33 so i thought nothing of it,

any way new kitchen has been fitted and kitchen fitting spark has twisted and moaned at house holder that he needs earth installing or he wont do work, ! any way as my mate is away he rang my number and twisted at me! i just said tell the other spark if he is twisty to fit his own but he refused and climbed on to his high horse and now telling customer his house is unsafe and that im working illigal and can be sent to jail..! he also said building control will not sign off his extension and will he will probably have to have it pulled down if its not signed off!

cut a long story short he now going on about reporting me etc etc.. and told customer he wont sign his part p bit off until a rod is installed...!!

with that reading i am pretty sure its got a rod in somewhere but if its designation is not ispectable he does have a point, just tell your mate to bash one in, better safe than sorry. and was he a kitchen fitter or a sparky that also makes a difference as you probly well know.

due to the extent of work already done and for the sake of the price of a rod put a new one in, if your stuck give me shout and ill take a look - also if its in my neck of the woods chances are ill know the other spark

Despite the fairly good readiing you've got there, if you can't see it, you can't verify it. Unfortunatley it's that simple.

However it isn't a problem of yours. It's your duty of care to raise awareness to the clients and enforce them on any limitations. If they don't want to pay for a new one, or for the existing to be verified then fine.

I would provide a report stating that the existing earthing system is believed to be TT (from observation) and that a reading of 33 ohms is obtained which is well within limits. However without visual verification, a decision of the earthing system, and it's condition cannot and will not be obtained.

If you pen down your findings, and leave the necessary information with the client then the like of Napit, NICEIC etc will have no problem.

The electrician throwing his dummy out is just being a **** who likes to try to use long words. Sometimes I have to be that ****, but every **** has his limits.

Last edited by a moderator:
you could say as the kitchen spark is working on the electrics then he should of checked the earthing arrangements before starting work on the kitchen electrics.

which is what i would of done wether it had just had electrical work carried out or not

to settle all arguments im going to call over next week in a time suitable for me and bash a rod into the ground for which will be paid for so im not that fussed..!!

the other spark works for a kitchen company! he is napit registered..! he whinged when i bonded the gas 3 meters away from the meter at a convient location for me and the customer as the customer did not want any type of cable or crap clad to his house front!! i rang elecsa and they went yah thats fine..! use comon sense as any bond is better than no bond and you can only work to what customer wants allows...

the jobs in snippersgate eziekiel!

i would code 3 the Rod Lenny on PIR!! Further investigation!

i just said tell the other spark if he is twisty to fit his own but he refused and climbed on to his high horse and now telling customer his house is unsafe and that im working illigal and can be sent to jail..!

Forgetting for a moment your own install
This spark is getting on his high horse with that comment
What does he think his responsibilities are when doing domestic installation
No alteration or addition shall be made unless blah blah

I would tell him in no uncertain terms to mind his own buisness with regard my installation and fullfill his responsibility under Bs7671

If you are satisfied with the reading that your installation is safe, then comment on the accessability of the existing earth connection being within limits but cant be verified because of its location

Its a TT system and requires to carry just 30m/amp,the connection to the rod is no massive deal as far as the safety of the user is concerned,the 16mm cable size is adequate mechanical protection

Let this other chap worry about his own installation and his own decision on the adequacy of his own means of earthing

i would be happier if i found out were the end connection was.
had a suspicious one last week which we dug out ,good reading but was found to be connected onto copper pipe buried in ground feeding the garage tap !
new rod to tick the box.

i would code 3 the Rod Lenny on PIR!! Further investigation!

Exactly. If this was a job where you had only been called in to do a PIR you would attribute a code 3. If you were then called in to carry out remedials you'd insist that the rod connection was found for inspection or advise a new one, as would I or anyone else...or at least you should be.;)

Obviously this situation is different and it is your call, we can only offer advice.:)

who in their right mind puts a rod under the damn house?? are they stupid?? must have been the same spark as i came across with the socket near as damn it IN the sink!!

common dog my way for some stupid reason!!lift the board near fuse box down the wall and bang its sunk into nice soil and kept moist!! replace board and continue!!

stupid colliery era housing!!

Reply to Earth rod in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net