Earth rods, here we go again! | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Earth rods, here we go again! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

drew35

[ElectriciansForums.net] Earth rods, here we go again![ElectriciansForums.net] Earth rods, here we go again!

I couldn’t help think about Engineer54’s teachings today when I carried out an EICR and found two earth rods with an RA of 393 ohms.

I pictured him sitting atop Everest, deep in meditation like Buddha, divinely in tune with all TT installations around the world, trying to teach people the path to enlightenment which comes with a lower RA! Saddened by the knowledge of poorly installed, feeble 10mm rods installed at insufficient depth, without separation of the rods exceeding depth… :ihih:

This is a holiday let above a garage. What made me laugh was the person who installed the rods (NICEIC domestic installer), also changed the consumer unit, carried out a PIR and installation certificate. And after fitting a 16th edition board, failed his own work with a code 2 on his PIR because all circuits on a TT weren’t covered by an RCD??? And then noted on his certificates an RA of 283ohms, not to mention a whole load of gibberish I didn’t understand.

What confused me is the house is TNS, and there is a 3 core SWA feeding the Holiday let. The SWA has been terminated into a Wiska, and then connected to meter tails, but the CPC is sitting there unused but connected at the houses MET with a Ze of 0.43ohms? I’ll have that then! Saves messing around with earth rods out in the Welsh sun (rain)! :yes:

Your right, i do sometimes wonder if there are any electricians left in the UK that understand what a TT system is, and what it's there for... lol!!

As you say, ...A total waste of an incompetents time and money!! Perhaps he hoped that fat earth cable would give him a lower Ra reading?? lol!! Looks like there isn't even a meter of those twigs actually in the ground from the photo, and those black earth rod connection boxes wouldn't be lasting too long either, total crap they are!!

Carrying on from earth rods how many times have you come across a sub main on a tt system not rcd protected came across one few weeks ago with no rcd protection at all not even rcd in consumer unit with ze of 120 ohms and it was only fitted couple years ago by a supposedly registered sparks

No he did issue an installation cert also, plus the PIR.

I thought I brought the PIR back with me, I could have scanned in it, but I must have left it behind.

No Engineer54 today?

View attachment 15146View attachment 15147

I couldn’t help think about Engineer54’s teachings today when I carried out an EICR and found two earth rods with an RA of 393 ohms.

I pictured him sitting atop Everest, deep in meditation like Buddha, divinely in tune with all TT installations around the world, trying to teach people the path to enlightenment which comes with a lower RA! Saddened by the knowledge of poorly installed, feeble 10mm rods installed at insufficient depth, without separation of the rods exceeding depth… :ihih:

This is a holiday let above a garage. What made me laugh was the person who installed the rods (NICEIC domestic installer), also changed the consumer unit, carried out a PIR and installation certificate. And after fitting a 16th edition board, failed his own work with a code 2 on his PIR because all circuits on a TT weren’t covered by an RCD??? And then noted on his certificates an RA of 283ohms, not to mention a whole load of gibberish I didn’t understand.

What confused me is the house is TNS, and there is a 3 core SWA feeding the Holiday let. The SWA has been terminated into a Wiska, and then connected to meter tails, but the CPC is sitting there unused but connected at the houses MET with a Ze of 0.43ohms? I’ll have that then! Saves messing around with earth rods out in the Welsh sun (rain)! :yes:

Proof - if it were ever needed - of the worthlesness of this NICEIC organisation !!!

Reply to Earth rods, here we go again! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back