Earth spikes and PME | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Earth spikes and PME in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have been reading a little about TN-C-S and T-N-S and I understand what is going on generally.

I understand TT systems OK.

I have read conflicting posts about installing earth rods with PME, some people say it is a good idea, some people say it is not.

I just wonder what is the advantage of installing an earth rod if you already have a PME supply, what's the point?

Some people say it helps to keep touch voltage down if you have a supply lost neutral, some people say it is dangerous because if you lose the supply neutral then your earth rod may become the earth conductor for the whole street.

As you can probably tell my knowledge in this area is really very vague and I wonder if anyone is willing to share a little experience in this thread.

So basically is it a good idea to install and earth rod if you have TN-C-S, is it a good idea if you have TN-S?

Are there any real dangers in adopting this method?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Reply to Earth spikes and PME in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

• Question
Better/Smart/intelligent/expensive generators require two earth spikes set ~10-15m apart. They check the resistance between spikes and will...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks for that guys I was more thinking about difference in potential between the tub and wet paving flags . The tub is plastic . But it’s the...
Replies
Views
It's not uncommon to find the earth cable put out from the additional neutral knockout, not the designed one on the side. If the rest of it looks...
Replies
Views
  • Solved
There is an article about that here: https://www.cement.org/learn/concrete-technology/durability/corrosion-of-embedded-materials It states...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I'm assuming the cable will have to be cleated well to hold it in place anyway, as a stuffing gland ain't going to hold it tight like a SWA gland...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks