EIC or EICR for submain after new Consumer Unit? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss EIC or EICR for submain after new Consumer Unit? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

Tricksy

Hi everyone.

I have my Elecsa assessment soon and have just replaced my own consumer unit, along with upgrading the bonding, rerouted cables which weren't in "safe zones" etc. I have filled in an EIC and literally gone over my house with a fine tooth-comb to make sure everything is spot-on.
I also have a detached garage which is fed from a 32A way on the CU to its own RCD CU with a few circuits. I have tested all these and everything is fine. My question is...do I fill in another EIC for the garage (noting that it is an existing installation), or should it be an EICR, as I haven't actually altered anything? I am quite happy to take ownership of the garage electrics as it is all surface-mounted and as I said, all fine.

Many thanks for any advice.

As Ponty says, no need for an EIC on the garage. It might be useful to do an EICR on it, just as something additional to show the assessor, unless you've several other jobs to show.

Thank you guys. I just thought that as it was supplied by a way in the CU, it would come under that circuit. From what you're saying tho, only the supply cable to the garage is part of the house CU upgrade?

Thank you guys. I just thought that as it was supplied by a way in the CU, it would come under that circuit. From what you're saying tho, only the supply cable to the garage is part of the house CU upgrade?

Yeah, you are only testing the circuit feeding the garage CU and not the CU itself so IR, R1+2, Zs etc

As you've changed the CU then the garage supply circuit (distribution circuit) fed from th CU will be listed on the EIC schedule along with the test results, surely?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not trying to be smart but you say the garage CU has its own RCD, presumably you've fitted a high integrity in the house?

Not trying to be smart but you say the garage CU has its own RCD, presumably you've fitted a high integrity in the house?

You are absolutely right Murdoch.
Hi Int board in house with unprotected 32A way feeding garage. Garage has an old board with 30mA RCD main switch. Have tested the garage thoroughly anyway and passed with no problems.
Was just wondering if garage needed documenting as its supply protective device has changed. It makes sense now that as the garage is its own submain, only the supply cable itself needs testing and documenting (which it has) on the house EIC.
I appreciate your advice guys, and I'm just getting a little nervous now as it is for the assessment.

Hi Int board in house with unprotected 32A way feeding garage. Garage has an old board with 30mA RCD main switch. Have tested the garage thoroughly anyway and passed with no problems.
Was just wondering if garage needed documenting as its supply protective device has changed. It makes sense now that as the garage is its own submain, only the supply cable itself needs testing and documenting (which it has) on the house EIC.
I appreciate your advice guys, and I'm just getting a little nervous now as it is for the assessment.

As your feed to the garage is on the new CU, you will have tested the sub main as part of the CU. If I were you I'd test the EFLI and RCD's in the garage as a "cursory" test - and if they are OK you could add a note the the EIC for the CU saying you have done this. Obviously if the readings are poor some investigation would be good.

As this is for your assessment, it would also make sense to talk your assessor though the steps you have done to "check" the garage too.

Good luck.

If I were you I'd test the EFLI and RCD's in the garage as a "cursory" test - and if they are OK you could add a note the the EIC for the CU saying you have done this. Good luck.

.....I'm of the opinion, keep it simple and don't give them any more information that they need !!!

Thank you both, I value both opinions. I have tested and prepared a SoTR for the garage, but thought I would keep it in a folder. That way, if the assessor asks if I tested the garage, I can produce it for him. Otherwise, keep quiet.

For the house - new CU - a EIC as you have done

For the garage - if you have not done any work then EICR if you want to do an inspection on that - but if the garage is part of the house circuit (no CU in garage) then the garage needs to go on the House EIC as well - but it would be better to have a small CU in the garage as well for safety reasons

Don't be, from your description you have already done way more than an Elecsa assessor will need. Like others I was pleasantly surprised how helpful my elecsa assessor was, he did check things fairly thoroughly but I got the strong impression he wouldn't fail me unless he really had to! Still, good luck!

For the house - new CU - a EIC as you have done

For the garage - if you have not done any work then EICR if you want to do an inspection on that - but if the garage is part of the house circuit (no CU in garage) then the garage needs to go on the House EIC as well - but it would be better to have a small CU in the garage as well for safety reasons

Thanks Nicholas. The garage does have its own CU and it all checks out ok.

Like others I was pleasantly surprised how helpful my elecsa assessor was, he did check things fairly thoroughly but I got the strong impression he wouldn't fail me unless he really had to! Still, good luck!

Failing one of these so-called assessments must be as rare, as an English doctor ever seeing the Ebola virus!! lol!! Haven't yet seen anyone come back on this and other forums saying they have failed a scam assessment, it seems it just don't happen!! And for very good reason i think!! lol!!!

I had my house consumer unit changed on April 12th and paid. I had the detached garage rewired and the fuse box/consumer unit changed last week (may 23rd) I asked for the EIC and the electrician said the test sheet he gave was all I needed so I pressed him and he said he'd do an EICR for the house, I asked about the garage and he said he can't do 2 EIC for the same property...surely 2 separate jobs I get 2 certificates?

EIC should be provided for any new circuit.
e.g.
new consumer unit with 8 circuits, one EIC to cover it.
extra socket added to an existing circuit next week would require a minor works certificate
but a new circuit added or an extra consumer unit would require an EIC

easy way to think about it is

EIC (Electrical Installation Certificate)
required for installing any new circuit

MWC (Minor Works Certificate)
required for modifying an existing circuit,
such as adding something to it, or changing an accessory

EICR (Electrical Installation Condition Report)
for reporting the condition of an existing installation or part of it.
not to be used for certification of a new circuit.

Reply to EIC or EICR for submain after new Consumer Unit? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net