elecsa assessment query | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss elecsa assessment query in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am about to register with elecsa. The question i have is, it asks for 2 completed assessment pieces.
It also says that the certificates have to be completed. If i am not already registered with a scheme, do i have to fork out for someone else to complete them, aswell as the cost of registration??
could anyone please enlighten me into this. i Just hope i have only got to complete them and await the assessment.

cheers

rob

You're supposed to show a selection of past certificates for the assesor to look at and discuss. If you aren't already regestered and carrying out electrical work you should be getting your work signed off by your local bulding control, but you should still be completing certificates.
If you have just started out, select the jobs you want to show him (if you have a large job like a rewire, the one job is enough) test it out, complete a certificate and explain your circumstances and that you'll be signing the job off via ELECSA after the registration.

Hope this helps. I remember my forst ELECSA assesment, and too was papping myslef over it, but relax, they are there to help and give advice, and they only fail the ones who blatently do not know what they are doing!
Brush up on regs and Part P, and you'll breeze through. At the end of the day, most of the assesors are also Sparks and appreciate your situation, make em a brew, talk about football, and you'll be fine.

I've been with Elecsa 4 years now, and the assessments get easier year on year, out of the 4 assessments i've had i have also had 3 different assessors. You have nothing to fear, they are honest guys who want to help, theres no trick questions, all you need to do is prove to him that you are capable and that you can install and test an installation properly and leave it in a safe condition. Dont worry about minor mistakes on certs, he will advise you if you get it wrong, just as they will with minor non conformancies on you job. Also they do live in the real world and they have been there and done it so they are aware that it is just about impossible to comply to both 17th and Part P to the letter of the law, what they need to see is a good sound and safe installation with good quality workmanship.

Make sure you can find your way around the books as he will probably ask you a question that you wont know but he wants you to demonstrate that you can find it. Make sure earthing and bonding are up to scratch as well, my gas bonding cable came off in his hand on my first assessment.

Oh and they also need your £400;)

Good luck and lets us know how you get on.

Cheers..........Howard

Last edited by a moderator:
Im just starting out too, yet to do any offitial jobs yet though as waing on advertisement stuff to be finished, ive been advised to go with elecsa to start instead of NIC, but do people not look for the NIC badge?? Any advice would be good.
Thanks.

Hi i am in the same situation as a couple of you on here:confused: i am looking to join nic and have a couple of complete rewires to show them:) but what paperwork do they need to see like she has asked for my 16th edition if i dont have the 17th! Do they look at the paperwork for this as i took the 16th many years ago and my past sheet is in my parents house 300 miles away from where i live now :eek: but where is another question lol, and my local college do not start the 17th exam till Feb next year.

Yea dont panic, my elecsa assessor spent 3 hours with me as the jobs to be assessed where at my home address. He asked me a question on energy efficiant light fittings in new props. I told him i didnt know off hand but new where to find it. He said it was not a memory test and if i could show him where it was that would be ok. I showed him the answer in the building regs(green Book). I also certified the job but registerd it with elecsa after the assessment pass. Dont worry and take your time. Dont forget sale isolation and prove your test equipment. Cheers:D:D:)

Reply to elecsa assessment query in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net