Electric heater Zone 1 Bathroom | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Electric heater Zone 1 Bathroom in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi good evening I was asked to preform a EICR on a reasonably new flat built in 1990. The testing and inspection went as planned apart from one glaring anomaly. The bathroom has a electric fan heater operated by a switch on the side. It is positioned above the rear of the bath with no shower. The owner mentioned this has been there since the flat was built.
[ElectriciansForums.net] Electric  heater  Zone 1 Bathroom
The question is when this was installed would this have complied with previous incarnations of the 17th?
Regards

RichardG

I would also say C2. However without a shower the risk is fairly low, but a definite contravention of the current regulations.
23 years old is not too new and would have been installed to 15th Edition.
I believe that the regulations have become easier in some ways for bathrooms and I am fairly sure standard switches were not permitted in zone 1.

The question is when this was installed would this have complied with previous incarnations of the 17th?

It didn't comply with any incarnation of the 17th - I presume you mean earlier Editions?

Either way, I don't see the relevance. You are assessing the safety and suitability for continued service. Does it make it any more or less unsafe if it was permitted before? You are inspecting to the current edition of the Regulations, i.e. BS 7671:2008 incorporating Amendment No. 2 (2013) (and not forgetting the recent Corrigendum!)

I agree code C2, however I would describe that as zone 2 see Fig 701.1 a in BGB. Zone 1 ends at the end of the bathtub. Either way fused outlet is not suitable for the zone and I suspect heater is not IPX4 rated.

Reply to Electric heater Zone 1 Bathroom in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net