electric meter question | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss electric meter question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

EJ-AY

Hi,my first post in the forum hopefully i would get a good feedback,How do i train as a electric meter installer, i am already a gas qualified so i can work on gas meter, just wanted to have electrics to add to my already existing skills, and do i need to have any electrical background? thanks:ihih:

Thank you malcolmsanford the response was swift i like that...and how do i proceed, any suggestion like companies to calls e.t.c. thamks

if you have no formal electrical training or qualifications I would proceed carefully, as for companies to call if you are to attempt this, I suggest ambulance then fire brigade

Hi Gaz76, i am completely new to this all i need is some leads to get me in the right directions...why the fire brigade or the ambulance....is it becos you think i'd blow myself up or the property very funny mate... proceed with care is the motto.

Find out which meter companies operate in your area and contact them! If your trained as a gas meter fitter there will be a fair amount of overlap in the trades. Have you asked where you work now.
An electric meter has four connections, gas two. Both can kill, beyond that it’s ticking boxes on a time sheet.

A fully trained meter fitter

View attachment 11100

Best quote of the day.

Welcome EJ, have seen loads of agency metering jobs up in london but the rates are pants. They estimate £400 a week but when you break it down it worked out as for that money you have to fit a meter every 8 minutes and this was using your own transport.
So the big city is not all that shiney in the meter market. I'm sure siemens or scottish power pay more but harder to get into.
There is a guy on scottish power on here so perhaps he can advise better. Good luck.

Find out which meter companies operate in your area and contact them! If your trained as a gas meter fitter there will be a fair amount of overlap in the trades. Have you asked where you work now.
An electric meter has four connections, gas two. Both can kill, beyond that it’s ticking boxes on a time sheet.

hi Tony, i live in Stratford east London, how do i go about finding this meter companies thanks for your help. I am a sole trader, but considering getting hired. :ihih:

There are a lot of jobs going in london, contact encore energy and I know rig energy were looking for people in london, keep an eye on jobisjob website, see a lot down south on there.
You can make good money in london, I worked london in january for a month and averaged out about 500 a week but now that the work volume is higher its likely to be more now.

With regards to training when you speak to these companies if you havent got any electrical experience I would just say you have a little experience as a sparks mate or something and the fact you fit gas meters gives you an edge as a lot of companies want duel fuel techs, its a good job, ive done it for a few years and enjoy it, made more money than I would have as an average sparky, as ive said on a lot of posts dont listen to some of the muppets around that say the job is lame and boring, there are a proportion of guys out there i.e ex meter readers fitting meters etc and these are the guys that give meter techs the stereotype that everyone in metering is thick as ****!

Half the lads I have worked with are electricians and gas engineers like yourself and I think the minority that slag off the industry are your average sparky who probably hasnt been given the opportunity to get a crack at the job, the spark industry is ****e now anyway and the bulk of work going about isnt any more interesting than metering so give these companies a call, pretty sure you will get somewhere with your background! Apologies for the long message! lol

There are a lot of jobs going in london, contact encore energy and I know rig energy were looking for people in london, keep an eye on jobisjob website, see a lot down south on there.
You can make good money in london, I worked london in january for a month and averaged out about 500 a week but now that the work volume is higher its likely to be more now.

With regards to training when you speak to these companies if you havent got any electrical experience I would just say you have a little experience as a sparks mate or something and the fact you fit gas meters gives you an edge as a lot of companies want duel fuel techs, its a good job, ive done it for a few years and enjoy it, made more money than I would have as an average sparky, as ive said on a lot of posts dont listen to some of the muppets around that say the job is lame and boring, there are a proportion of guys out there i.e ex meter readers fitting meters etc and these are the guys that give meter techs the stereotype that everyone in metering is thick as ****!

Half the lads I have worked with are electricians and gas engineers like yourself and I think the minority that slag off the industry are your average sparky who probably hasnt been given the opportunity to get a crack at the job, the spark industry is ****e now anyway and the bulk of work going about isnt any more interesting than metering so give these companies a call, pretty sure you will get somewhere with your background! Apologies for the long message! lol

Hi Davie99 No worries thanks i only just got the msg i'll try on Monday....Starting with Encore Energy thanks

Reply to electric meter question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net