Electric motors | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Electric motors in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

LearnerDave

Hi guys,

With Chrismas coming up I wonder if any of you could recommend any good books detailing how electric motors work (or any websites). I have a couple of books that gloss over the basics but would really looking for a book that can show me how/where the windings run inside the motor from the terminal blocks as well as the other information I need to learn.

Any suggestion would be really appreciated.

Thanks very much. Dave.

Hi Tony. I've read you where writting a section on motor and controls, I hope you get your computer sorted as i can't wait to read it. A lot of your replies to other threads have already been very useful on the subject. Thanks alot.

Tagging a question on to the back of this.

On a squirrel cage motor, there are copper loops on the opposite sides of the windings to the wires.

Anyone know what they are for?

would any of these books make sense to someone like me if know nothing about them and never work with them... think we cover them this year a little more than last year...

The only motors I can think of with a copper loop embedded in the pole is a “shaded pole” single phase motor. If not, the only other thing could be that you’re referring to the parallel loops formed by the “squirrel cage” in the rotor. But they are usually aluminium as it’s easier to do injection casting with aluminium. Old motors had copper rotor bars but they were a pain in the backside.

Reply to Electric motors in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net