electric shock from solar panels | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss electric shock from solar panels in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

cdrive

Got my new panels installed and I'm very happy with them , I went up to take some photo's and on the way back down I touched the wet tiles on the roof (it had been Raining)and the scaffolding and got an electric shock. at first I thought it was just static, but it happened every time touch the roof or the solar panels.
It measured over 100 volts, is this normal with solar panels?
he's coming back to check it out so I'm not worried,but wondered what could cause it.

It's pretty normal with TL inverters, to sometimes get tiny shocks (more tingles) between the panels and scaffolding or roof, and happens most in damp conditions.

thing is, it may have been 100V, but it will have been measured in microamps, so entirely harmless as a shock, the danger would be if you had fallen off the roof as a result.

Best to turn the panels off first if you're wanting to go and have a look at them next time.

It could also be that the DC connectors hadn't been tightened properly and left to dangle in the wet, which would be more serious, so make sure they check that.

Reply to electric shock from solar panels in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net