electric shower change over | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss electric shower change over in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

kadelec

Hi. Just a quick question. Got a job coming up which is just swapping a shower over. Old rewireable CU. Anyway the gas and water is earthed in 6mm earth. I'm upgrading main earth to 16mn . Do I need to upgrade these to 10mm? And obviously put the current circuit on an rcd. Thanks in advance.

hi. Just a quick question. Got a job coming up which is just swapping a shower over. Old rewireable cu. Anyway the gas and water is earthed in 6mm earth. I'm upgrading main earth to 16mn . Do i need to upgrade these to 10mm? not if they show no signs of thermal damage and are intact.

and obviously put the current circuit on an rcd. yes

what's the earthing system?

What's wrong with the existing earthing conductor?
What size bonding does the installation require
Is the existing bonding in good condition?

Manufacturers recommendation. Mira have it down as not recommended because of inadequate short circuit capacity (see reg 433.1.3) and Triton have it down as DO NOT use a rewireable fuse.

Manufacturers recommendation. Mira have it down as not recommended because of inadequate short circuit capacity (see reg 433.1.3) and Triton have it down as DO NOT use a rewireable fuse.

Fine, but why do you believe it shouldn't be used?

It is perfectly possible to install a fully compliant installation which uses 3036 fuses for its ocpds

the regs now say to take manufacturer's instructions under advisement not to blindly follow them.

i would offer the option of the rcd by saying it would make it safer or to use the existing supply

Fine, but why do you believe it shouldn't be used?

It is perfectly possible to install a fully compliant installation which uses 3036 fuses for its ocpds

Come on Dave, you're hot on current electrical terminology so why use a method of protection that belongs in the past ? Would you really use a rewireable fuse to provide over current and short circuit protection on a shower circuit ?

Come on Dave, you're hot on current electrical terminology so why use a method of protection that belongs in the past ? Would you really use a rewireable fuse to provide over current and short circuit protection on a shower circuit ?

On a new circuit no, but I see no reason to comment if an existing shower circuit uses a 3036 fuse for protection

If it was me I'd say no unless it was going on an RCD, I accept what you all have to say but I would just sleep a bit better thinking I'd put an rcd on it.

I had assumed the need for an RCD went without saying. But either way it is pretty much irrelevant to the question of either a 3036 can provide overcurrent and fault protection.

I think the old definition of the protection offered by rewireable fuses was 'coarse' , that sums it up for me, and they're too easy to tamper with by those who shouldn't too. :yesnod:

Reply to electric shower change over in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net