Electrical danger notification when surveying for a quote | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Electrical danger notification when surveying for a quote in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

Nicktric

I haven't come across this yet but it's only a matter of time.. If I am doing a prework survey and come across a code 1, I have to leave the installation safe. If I haven't got the job yet am I going to have to bill the customer after the survey and immediate remedial work?
As the survey is for quote purposes I presume I inform the customer of the remedial work necessary/done and if I don't get the job, bill them, but what if they won't sign the pre work survey and refuse to pay saying they hadn't authorised work? Has anyone come across this? I suppose the other way is isolate the problem and get them to sign the survey then sort it wait for quote response and if no joy then bill for remedial work. PS Has anyone got any links to free EDN certs? Cheers!

You have a responsibility to inform the duty holder/client but no obligation to start making repairs.

Only police, firefighters and representatives of the DNO have the authority to isolate a supply without the clients permission.

in general terms its about the customer we can make in some situations a code 1 safe say for instance an exposed part you can carry out a quick temp repair tape, barriers etc , but also you need to cover your back to if the customer is one thats not likly to carry out any repairs then a danger notification should be issued ,realy to cover your self , if you have done a PIR and there is 1's then you hand over the PIR , as has been said its not up to you to carry out repairs whilst on site , you are there to do a PIR the reason for identifying faults ,potential hazards and deviations etc , if the installation is in a dangerouse condition ie crumbling VIR issue a danger notification and install an RCD (As advised by the NIC) you are not autherised to isolate i have done once as the install was rewireable and boxes were getting hot due to the cable breaking down ,and very close to catching fire ,it was a difficult one , but i did contact the fire service and social services as well .

Thanks, I can see how I'd be covered clearly with a PIR, I was particularly thinking about a Pre-work survey for a quote. A quote from an NIC publication Inspection and testing 'Failure to carry out remedial work after discovering a dangerous electrical hazard, for example, exposed live parts due to a missing blank in a consumer unit, could result in someone receiving a serious or even fatal shock. Such an omission would be in breach of regulation 4(1) and 4(2) of the EWR 1989 which could result in prosecution.'
I went to a job, a board change and found a cover off a JB at the back of the saucepan cupboard with no back to the cupboard. Are you saying IQElectrical that you have no obligation to put this right or are you saying that you need to Isolate by disconnection this circuit and notify the client and quote to sort? Understand what you say Tony, Unauthorised opens a can of worms but you can see where I'm coming from you're damned if you do....

If it is that dangerous issue an EDN there and then get customer signature and walk away.
You are NOT the electric police.
IF you disconnect that can be construed as criminal damage.
You are damned if you do & damned if you don't.
Welcome to the real world, which is why you must have PI insurance for any sort of PIR works etc.

My mate the MOT tester doesn't fix my van free of charge, no matter how dangerous it is, nor can he stop me taking to the road if i wish.

So can someone explain to me why some Electricians feel it is their responsibility to fix every dangerous situation they come across free of charge?

PS if anyone wants to work free of charge, i have got 20 plus properties which have been PIR'd, and there is lots of dangerous stuff you can sort out FOC anytime you wish. The Landlord will love me as my quotes will be low.

Cheers..........Howard

Reply to Electrical danger notification when surveying for a quote in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net