Electricians mate | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Electricians mate in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

Knobhead

A good electricians mate is worth his weight in gold! OK he may not understand the finer points of electrikery but to me as an industrial electrician he’s the one guy I can rely on to do exactly what I want. Testing when your 2 miles apart is a pain but Dave my mate would do everything he could to help. Shout him on the radio and he would short out the cores I needed to test, take readings if I left the meter with him.

He was a gem

He hadn’t a clue the first time we did a paper/lead cable together, the second time I only had to hold my hand out to have the correct tool put in my hand. Try wiping lead when you only have a moleskin in your hand and you rely on someone putting a spoon of molten lead in it, you have to trust them.

With trunking and conduit he was a total wiz. Gas welding those “bitch” corners was second nature to him. The re-spray job afterwards made it undetectable.

Plant lighting? I never had to touch it, Tuesday and Thursday mornings he would set off on his own to repair all the lighting he could. Only if it was a distribution fault would he get me involved.

The only time he let me down was while doing a 3.3KV joint. I left him on his own while I went for breakfast, he’d brought his own frying pan and all the makings. So he fires up the gas devils and proceeds to set fire to the jointers tent and my bloody tool chest!

I was EEPTU shop steward and try as I might I couldn’t get him more pay. The management of the company knew he was worth more but it was a big company with stupid rigid rules.

When he retired I was like a man with no arms

A good electricians mate is worth his weight in gold! OK he may not understand the finer points of electrikery but to me as an industrial electrician he’s the one guy I can rely on to do exactly what I want. Testing when your 2 miles apart is a pain but Dave my mate would do everything he could to help. Shout him on the radio and he would short out the cores I needed to test, take readings if I left the meter with him.

He was a gem

He hadn’t a clue the first time we did a paper/lead cable together, the second time I only had to hold my hand out to have the correct tool put in my hand. Try wiping lead when you only have a moleskin in your hand and you rely on someone putting a spoon of molten lead in it, you have to trust them.

With trunking and conduit he was a total wiz. Gas welding those “bitch” corners was second nature to him. The re-spray job afterwards made it undetectable.

Plant lighting? I never had to touch it, Tuesday and Thursday mornings he would set off on his own to repair all the lighting he could. Only if it was a distribution fault would he get me involved.

The only time he let me down was while doing a 3.3KV joint. I left him on his own while I went for breakfast, he’d brought his own frying pan and all the makings. So he fires up the gas devils and proceeds to set fire to the jointers tent and my bloody tool chest!

I was EEPTU shop steward and try as I might I couldn’t get him more pay. The management of the company knew he was worth more but it was a big company with stupid rigid rules.

When he retired I was like a man with no arms
:2guns:

Is he any good at coinduit?

I've met a few blokes who have been mates for nearly 40 years. They could show most of us sparks a thing or 2 with containment. Really nice blokes too. I found it a little humbling to be working with these blokes and on paper I was in charge as it were but these fellas didn't need to be told. They would still ask if I thought it was ok though as they respected the fact I'm an electrician, even though I was 22, and just qualified. Gentlemen.

I would class a mate with 40 years experience as an electrician although they probably wouldn't be graded at that. I also know a few mates/improvers who get electricians rates.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Tony where are u based as I'm looking to get a electricians assistant job to start earning a bit of pocket money I have completed level 2 electrical installation course and am living in hemel Hempstead Hertfordshire was wondering if you could employ me but I don't have driving license yet

Reply to Electricians mate in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net