emergancy light switch??? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss emergancy light switch??? in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

still learning.

[ElectriciansForums.net] emergancy light switch???Hi can anyone tell me

if this is an emergency
[ElectriciansForums.net] emergancy light switch???

light switch, I was asked to change some light switches for some new ones and this one is the switch for the livingroom.

cheers

Certainly looks like it , is there an emergency fitting in the living room seams odd in a domestic situation but not unheard of , it could also be an overide switch for a pir light to switch it off when not needed further investigations should confirm it

the luminares are standard fittings and there is no pir. if they still want the switch changing do i have to get one the same or is there another i can use?

See if you can locate what the key switch is doing it may be disconnected or if you find what it is it may be an idea to change to a 2 gang switch depending on what it does

I think it it is off because I put my volt meter on the black and red on the switch side ( which opperates the livingroom lights) and got an open circuit 001 ohms because the lights were on and on the two reds on the key side I got 244v. they have not been there long and don't have the key so I will change it to a 2 gang switch and see what comes on when I switch it on.

thanks

Yes, it's definately an emergency lightswitch, they can be used for other things too, but mainly for emergency lighting, it requires a special key to operate it, it should be singlepole, i don't think i've come across that type as double pole, not that it matters..if you need to know anymore, i'd be happy to help, also the BS 5266 is a good read if you need to know more about emergency lighting. hope this helps

the 2 reds in the E/L, 1 of them will be your common, your black will be the S/L (switchline)

there are 2 ways to wire these things up, depending of course what it is being used for...but like the gentleman above said, use a 2 gang switch, just look at it as a 2 gang switch would be your best bet..

never dealt with one before, are they two seperate switches or doese it depend on how they are wired up because i remember seeing one before in a warehouse i worked in and the switch would not operate the light unless the key side had been turned on. am i right in thinking it had been wired the otherway round to the one i am dealing with because with this one the lights work and the key side is off.

Had one of these switches in my kitchen, the key switch was for an extractor fan. Never seen them used else where in a house though.

never dealt with one before, are they two seperate switches or doese it depend on how they are wired up because i remember seeing one before in a warehouse i worked in and the switch would not operate the light unless the key side had been turned on. am i right in thinking it had been wired the otherway round to the one i am dealing with because with this one the lights work and the key side is off.

They are two separate switches, and wired as such.

58 pence or so will buy you an MK test switch key from almost any supplier.

Is there a change it may have once been another standard switch, for wall lighting no longer there?

It may be the case that some enterprising soul fitted the key switch as a means to prevent accidental switching of live wiring buried in the wall.

The emergency light should be able to be turned on in the case of, for example it the occupant's mother is ill, because that could be an emergency.

Reply to emergancy light switch??? in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net