Emergency call out for burning cutout | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Emergency call out for burning cutout in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have just been called out when client noticed smoke comming from 2g socket. Thinking this would be more or less straight forward to identify fault and rectify, I advised client to immediately turn off consumer unit and rushed to job in case of fire hazzard. On site, even with consumer unit off, smoke was still pooring from the socket.
Tested socket was dead and removed it to find the smoke was comming up the conduit from the basement where the main cutout was directly below. Once in the basement I found the main incomming cable was to two cutout fuses. One had tails 16mm to Henley block and supplied two upstairs flats each with own 16mm tails and consumer units. The other also had 16mm tails to a henley block which then supplied two downstairs properties each with its own consumer unit.

On sight of cutout both line tails out of each cutout fuse were glowing red with orange sparks falling from them and sheathing burning and melting.
I immediately did my best to isolate all four consumer units so no current was being drawn and called Fire service and YEDL. Smoke was very soon too bad to be able to see. Evacuted building and waited for fire service.

After all sorted and several hours later with power off to whole street, the cutout was replaced with new and new 16mm tails.
YEDL chap said cause probably main supply cable needs upgrading as too big a demand in building for existing. Is this likely as they have just put things as they were but just new parts and tails. So could same thing just happen again. ???

They live by there own rules, if it burns out again they will upgrade it if its ok it was a bad joint in cutout.... its how they work ...Yes i know if we operated like that we'd have legal costs hitting the roof.

probably,sounds as though service fuse is bigger than the maximum size for 16 mm tails,so unless he has put smaller rated fuse in eg 60 amp instead of 100 then yes it could quite well happen again.

I don't feel I can leave things as they are but now new cutouts in and sealed i cannot identify the fuse size.
I will contact YEDL tommorrow for the info am i likely to get it.

If domestic I'd suspect dodgy connection rather than overloading. Never seen cables glowing red before tbh, felt them really hot but never glowing.

Could get the home owner to power everything up and get a clamp meter onto the tails to see what they are pulling.

[ElectriciansForums.net] Emergency call out for burning cutout

[ElectriciansForums.net] Emergency call out for burning cutout
not sure,havnt read it but info here

Reply to Emergency call out for burning cutout in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net