Emergency lighting regs | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Emergency lighting regs in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

echase

-
Reaction score
What are the laws /regulations on emergency lights? In a church hall we have lots of the 13W non maintained type that come on when the mains fails. The ones at exits have the green exit sign on them. But the joined on church (medieval type anglican) has one over main exit only with no green sign. But this one is permanently on even when main lights are on or off and all through daylight. Is there a reason it’s permanent and is it legal not to have the green sign? It’s not in a windowless area.

One possible reason it is like this is that is gives a little light to people coming in after dark, even though there are light switches within 2 m of the entrance door so not that difficult/dangerous to enter. I am inclined to change it to the non maintained sort and put a PIR on the inside porch light to immediately pick up people opening the door, as it costs £17 pa in electricity and bulbs to keep it on permanently, plus labour to keep changing the bulbs.

An architect says we need one over the other exit door too. Should this be non maintained and with green sign?

the green running man signs can be stuck on the fitting or under it. as to whether or not they should be maintained is usually dictated by your local council/fire service.

In this situation, where people may be unfamiliar with the surroundings and emergency escape routes, emergency escape route signs should be maintained during material times.

An emergency escape route sign should be visible along all parts of an escape route.

BS5266 says if any doubt may exist as to the location of the exits or emergency exits, a directional sign or series of sings should be used.

Last edited by a moderator:
The requirement of a legend will depend on the particular points of emphasis along the escape route.

Attached some possibly useful info..

Last edited:
Many thanks for answers. Not quite sure what sort of building a church is classed as in these regs. If it was a true commercial building like an office/factory we would need loads of emergency lights to cover the whole seating area. But there does not seem to be any pressure from relevant authorities to go to that extreme. On the other hand we are treated as needing more than a domestic house.

The building did predate mains electricity by a few hundred years and I don’t think there used to be any regulations on maintained and non maintained candles.

I was led to believe the final exit must be maintained unless the legend was photoluminecent (think i spelt that right).

There is no requirement for photoluminescent emergency escape route signs in BS5266.

BS5266 recommends maintained lighting/emergency escape route signs for places where people will be unfamiliar with the building/emergency escape routes.

Bit off topic but same church building has mostly MIC cable to lights and sockets installed 15-30 years ago. An Electrician is quoting to add more sockets and lights and asked if we want MIC for new circuits. Why would MIC be used in such a building apart from the fact that it’s a lot thinner so easier to blend in to old stone walls/pillars than PVC cable in trunking? Not possible to chase cables into the walls except for very short bits.

Last edited:

Reply to Emergency lighting regs in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net