Employed/Self Employed? | Page 3 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Employed/Self Employed? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

I'm looking at going self employed this year. Are there any decent books/websites that anyone can recommend ?

The first thing you should do, before taking the plunge, is work out all the different things you will need to buy to start up. Think of as much as you can and then put a cost to each and every item.

Don't using ebay prices, use new prices so if and when you take the plunge, and you can buy something 2nd hand, it will be saving you money.

Don't be surprised if the total is above £5K

I've been self emplyed for 21 years
A one man band working mainly from word of mouth contacts
Its freedom to start and finish as you please
Thats the one self satisfying all encompassing reason that its better than being a number on a payroll
The downside is that money can be like a rollercoaster,sometimes way above what you get employed,but also sometimes, money recieved compares with the third world

Holidays,what are they?
Security,what is that?
Finish at 5 pm When was that ?
Weekends, forget work till monday.Is that so?

Even given the downside,I could never see myself doing a proper job

Just about somes up self employment.
Been self employed for 28 years and the last2 have been the hardest!

I am probably unenployabe now, if a 20 something told me what to do i may tel him where to shove it!

Just about somes up self employment.
Been self employed for 28 years and the last2 have been the hardest!

I am probably unenployabe now, if a 20 something told me what to do i may tel him where to shove it!

Like most here, I've been self employed (sub contract work mainly) for most of my working life
however for a change I've manage to get a job on the cards.
but £25k plus bonus is crap for the experience and qualifications I have
I'm working as a tester

My 3rd yr of self employment, do machines, control panels, breakdowns etc not been effected too much by the economic dip as i dont do house bashing but still been hard building customer base, think im there now and hopefully because i started in a dip then things can only get better :)

Have just finished training so in the process of making this decision. Devlin some great ideas on getting started being SE may give it a go. It is my preferred option as this was half the reason for retraining.

I am just going through my 1st years trading and it is not good reading,in fact i would of earned more stacking shelves,could be selling the van,testers,etc all soon as i cant carry on like this,dont want to be off putting to anyone but it does cost to set up and get established,you need money to make money,alas i have none left.

I am just going through my 1st years trading and it is not good reading,in fact i would of earned more stacking shelves,could be selling the van,testers,etc all soon as i cant carry on like this,dont want to be off putting to anyone but it does cost to set up and get established,you need money to make money,alas i have none left.

You have such positive threads, surely you can't give up so soon!

On a thread a few months back, I suggested that the first years aim should be to make a profit, and a profit could simply be £1.00 - everybody considering going self employed needs to realise that it could take 2 - 4 years to make a "salary" and should budget accordingly.

Me positive threads,thanks murdoch,im willowing in self pity,perhaps i need to watch braveheart to get the fire back in my belly,i think i need to give it more time as you say rome was not built in a day,more effort required.

you should try coming up with a different game plan... some sort of strategy! Have you tried letting agents? i know exactly how u feel but u gotta hang in there n not give up. Where theres a will. theres a way... apparently...

around about 1 of 5 commercial premises have dodgy lighting.. anyone else noticed this as they walk down the street? I did.. popped my card in the door on my way to the post office next day i got a call.. a week later im up £1500.. U just have to pick ur targets really well..

forget rated people... just get the address off the website and leaflet drop the whole street.. that works well on empty weeks i have nothin on... try that!

HI Friends!!!!!!!!!!

I am self employed, and I am too happy with the growth I have in my self employed business. Well but still looking for more and more.

S/E is a dream for everyone i think. before that we need experience for life and business as well. i'm curious that is every S/E person super busy? too busy to contact others or even to stay in a relationship?

Friends i need guidance on insurance options for self-employed electricians. Do we require Professional indemnity, public liability and accident insurance coverages? Your replied will be well appreciated. Thank you!

What do your scheme ask for?

What do you mean by scheme here? i dont understand. i dont have one yet, so i guess i am here for the purpose of asking for a scheme, an insurance deal,which to get and are there any pakaged insurances available covering for one or all of the covers i shall require?

I'm working on the basis that you are in England or Wales and intend doing domestic work - if this is the case you'll need to be registered with a Part P scheme (Elecsa, Napit or NICEIC) and they all have mandatory, minimum levels of necessary insurance defined in their membership schemes.

Reply to Employed/Self Employed? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net