Energy audits of commercial customers | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Energy audits of commercial customers in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jerry45

I have been having a bit of success in performing energy audits to help my commercial customers lower their energy bills. I usually start by reviewing the customer's utility bills to check on any demand charges or power factor penalties that are being assessed. Then I track track power consumption of equipment inside the facility to help understand where the energy is being consumed. I use my Fluke 435 power quality analyzer to measure demand over time. I try to identify peak demands and track down the cause which might be large loads operating concurrently. I use a thermal imager in conjunction with the power quality analyzer to to check if any feeders or neutral conductors are warmer than ambient, which might indicate a high harmonic content. I look for problems such as overloaded circuits, loose connections, motors running hot, etc. Finally, I propose solutions for the problems I have identified and provide a calculation of how fast they will pay back their cost. I have had considerable luck in generating additional business using this approach. I wonder if anyone else is performing energy audits of commercial customers and has any ideas on how I can improve my practices?

I sometimes use thermal imager to spot the hotspots in machine controls and fuseboards with regard to preventative maintenance which tends to get interest as you can show them where to expect future problems. Some customers have left things and found to their cost when they get a problem you predicted, thats when they normally let you carry out the other works you suggested.

Reply to Energy audits of commercial customers in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net