Entering Domestic, Commercial, and Industrial Markets | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Entering Domestic, Commercial, and Industrial Markets in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sbrown2

I am a time served electrician (background MIning Industry). I am currently working in the automotive industry as a maintenance electrician and currently doing a lot of installation work, although hours have been cut this year. I have a plan to get off shifts and to do this I would like to maybe look at building up business to the point where I can work for myself. I have applied for a JIB card(and would hope to get Electrician to Approved Electrician) and just passed 2382-10 exam. I have 2391/01 but will not be updating this as I am confident in the application of Inspection and Testing or will look up what I don't know. I have IPAF and other qualifications
I would like advice on which market would best suit me and what sort of companies to target. Is the commercial and Indudtrial sectors suffering just as much as the domestic sector? Are there specific opportunities in certain sectors? Is the domestic sector larger so better to aim for?
Also what is the most cost effective means of getting into business. I have insurance but I am not registered.
Any help would be greatly received.

As previously quoted I am looking at best advice for moving forward. I am not massively unhappy in my current role but have a three to four year timespan for moving forward. I have received JIB status now. Can this be used as a form of competence for signing off domestic works.

Again any advice would be appreciated.

Regards

Steve:confused:

Only 3 routes legally available in domestic

1. Stick to non-reportable works and crack on without looking back
2. Pre-notify major (notifyable) work via LABC who will part you from your cash for the privilage of inspecting your work
3. Pay a scheme to register and notify LABC via them

Simples

Forgot - Inspection work, PIR's etc, just do them, no need to notify or join a scheme

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the advice.

Ok. So I can look at non notifiable works and PIRs and Inspection work to build myself up in the domestic market. Or can look at parting with the £500 for registering with a scheme. Is the registering with a scheme for a company or for each individual and apart from allowing me to notify my work what other benefits do they provide me with. Does the registration have value if I move to commercial and industrial works?

Regards

steve:confused:

dont have to be in a scheme for commercial or industrial but some will insist on it for insurance purposes ie approved contractor status from a scheme or scam however you like to call it

Reply to Entering Domestic, Commercial, and Industrial Markets in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net