Extending a Mains Fire system - Domestic | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Extending a Mains Fire system - Domestic in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

claret73

Have been asked to look at adding an extra alarm for a customer as building control have told them they require an extra fitting. (I think they are renting out the house).Have done some Googling about & reading through my Aico Handybook, so have come up with this:

The Smokes are on their own circuit, hard wired, interconnected. They are Aico manufactured, so will replace 1 base unit with a Radiolink (quick thought, Would I still need to connect the Interconnect core, from 3 core cable to maintain a link from the previous feed? This unit is the 2nd in the radial circuit). For the additional unit, I'll fit a complete radiolink, which will sync with the existing hard wired, now replaced to Radiolink unit. The feed for this will be fed off an existing light point (closest is a Spot, will break in with a JB and spur to the Radiolink base)

As far as BS 5839 Part 6 goes, can I download a suitable certificate FOC? & would this require a Minor Works cert under Part P? Or is this classed as an additional lighting point - IE Coming off the Spot to feed the Radiolink base?

I'm not Part P, so if that's a Yes or I can't sign the Smoke Cert I'll pass it to my Contractor.
Cheers for any info

You dont spur fire alarms with radio link you need a base and a RC head , what i would do is remove one of the 3 core wires from a detector then from that detector to the new detector then back to the removed 3 core thus reconnecting the the detectors

Or, if you want to use wireless, ALL the detectors will need RC bases.

And then just dis the interlink.

Cheers Jason. Although looking at the AICO FAQ's, it seems I can remove just the one out of 3 units, replace that with a RadioLink & then fit a second RadioLink for the additional, thus having 2 wireless & 2 Hard Wired...Not fitted the Wireless so will talk to AICO
Cheers
Andy

You dont spur fire alarms with radio link you need a base and a RC head , what i would do is remove one of the 3 core wires from a detector then from that detector to the new detector then back to the removed 3 core thus reconnecting the the detectors

Nick. Might have mis quoted myself? When I said spur, I meant taking a feed from the lighting point to feed the additional RadioLink Base. It does need a L,N & E...I'll be replacing 1 Hard wired with a RadioLink Base & syncing that with the new additional Unit. That doesn;t require 3 core, just a 2c&E Feed off a Lighting Point (From what I gather from AICO Info)...

Reply to Extending a Mains Fire system - Domestic in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net