Extending Garden Lighting | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Extending Garden Lighting in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

spicler08

Hi guys,

I'm not an electrician but have dabbled a bit in the past. So with my fairly basic knowledge can someone kindly give me a few pointers on adding some more garden lights? (basic ground level spikes - 240v). I already have 3 of these in my garden but I'd like to add 3 more to the existing circuit, and before I jump in head first I just thought I'd ask a professional (or near enough!) on the best way to tackle it. Everything is already in place in terms of the Consumer Unit, RCD and SWA, but I'll obviously need to extend the existing wiring to add the extra lights... so any help on how to approach this would be much appreciated! i.e - what cable do I need, junction boxes, type of SWA etc etc..

Please don't reply saying that I should contact my local electrician because I'd like to tackle this myself and learn for future reference, so any help would be very much appreciated! Just some basic non-jargon instructions would be great. I've attached some pics to make things a bit clearer.

Thanks in advance guys
Steve

[ElectriciansForums.net] Extending Garden Lighting [ElectriciansForums.net] Extending Garden Lighting [ElectriciansForums.net] Extending Garden Lighting

Last edited by a moderator:
<< Everything is already in place in terms of the Consumer Unit, RCD and SWA >>

I don't see an RCD in any of those piccies bonny lad.

Maybe best to get a sparky in ;)

not been funny butcontact your local electrician as the work is Part P notifiable and Building control will want to know..

however i would do following

i would run 1mm 3 core SWA from last junction box to your next Light position and terminate in a ip55 plastic enclosure (similar to what you already have in garden) bring bit of 1mm flex out side in a stuffing gland and connect to light!

repeat as required for each light.

Wow, I didn't expect a reply at this hour! :) Thanks DurhamSparky, just what I needed; clear, helpful advice that simply points me in the right direction. Thanks mate.

Seriously there does need to be an rcd somewhere on the circuit (could be back at the main CU supplying the one in your pic) but if there is not it is potentially very dangerous.

All these diy'rs thinking they are sparks does my nut in. i don't know why people tell them how to do it. You are just biteing the hands of others sparks in this blokes area. If he wants to do it himself let him figure it out himself and explain to the powers that be why someone got a shock in his back garden.

Thanks pushrod, you are indeed correct - the RCD is on the main CU in the house. Anyways, the job is now done and all 3 new lights are working perfectly. Popped down B&Q this morning for all the bits and bobs, got straight to work on it and it was all done and dusted in a couple of hours. Thanks again Durham Sparky :)

Funnily enough I spoke to Elecsa about the requirements for an RCD if extending a previously installed garden light circuit in SWA.
Their take was that as long as all the external fixed wiring that you add was indeed mechanically protected & the lights are installed to manufacturers instructions then you don't technically need one, they are recommended of course though.

Reply to Extending Garden Lighting in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net