extending ring main | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss extending ring main in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

juggler73

hi
i wanted to extend my ring main in my bedroom/workshop

ive done loads of reading and i have come up with this
see pic
would this be ok
thanks

Attachments

• [ElectriciansForums.net] extending ring main
    extended ring main.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 119
When you say "workshop" do you mean a seperate buildlng? If so there will be considerations in getting power to (and from) the workshop plus earthing sconsiderations.

It appears to be fine but, would running an additional ring main be out the question? From my point of view, i wouldn't want something in my workshop lifting the CB or RCD for my house. I'd rather put in an addtional ring for the workshop and whack an RCBO or RCD on it.

Another thing to investigate is whether or not that first socket is a spur from another circuit or a single socket on a radial on 4mm cable, if so I would use 4mm on the new ring or use 2.5mm starting from the cu, just better practice. Also get it installed, tested by an electrician. (dont think its an out building if its also his bedroom).

thanks for the replies

Murdoch@ its just a bedroom

Wiredspark@ i cant run an additional ring main

paul.m@ the socket has 2 sets of wires going to it

sintra@ its connected to a RCBO at the CU

all the sockets except the kitchen and the water heater at on the same fuse.
7 doubles and 2 singles

i would like to have a separate rcd to my room for the additional sockets but i have no way of running the cables.
is there a way to add rcd to the extended ring that would guard the rcbo from tripping?

thanks

No, only your work needs to comply, although in most cases a standalone RCD at the CU for the extended circuit would do, alongside meb

Reply to extending ring main in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net