external power to garage | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss external power to garage in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

hsuelec77

Hi chaps,

I've been requested to carry out a quote to provide power for a garage which is 80 mtr from the house, can you recommend a suitable ducting which can
be used to protect the swa cable? The customer doesn't want to have a trench dug for that distance, can the swa be directly layed under
the slabs before going through the ducting or do i require a trench? By the way the ducting is to lay surface against the bushes, there is no fencing.

Kind regards

Hsu :yes:

As long as the SWA is terminated correctly it does not need any ducting as the armour is there to protect the cabling if its burried in the ground wether in a ducting or not it needs to be at the permited depth , one way have used in the past where i cannot get any depth due to rock is to label either end of the position the cable goes under the ground or slabs with a small plastic engraved sign warning electrica bable below surface , but due the the distance the cable is going i would add them at other points

The reason for installing ducting is to prevent rats or mice from chewing on the exposed swa above ground, there's no way the customer is going to pay for a trench to be dug at that
distance. So you can't install the swa in high impact ducting along side the bushes?

you can run the SWA on the surface, protect with pvc ducting. select a colour for the ducting that can easily be seen.

I Think that scaffold poles is probably a better bet, than most of the plastic ducting that's available. Seen far to many so-called UV resistant ducts becoming brittle in little under 5 years!!! Will also certainly give you superior mechanical protection over any plastic/PVC ducting and at least a good 25/30 year life expectancy!! ...lol!!

80m is a pretty long run too, when being just laid on the ground, certainly not something i would agree on doing!!

Reply to external power to garage in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net