Extra wiring leftover from Europe - can it be used in North America? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Extra wiring leftover from Europe - can it be used in North America? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Spins49

DIY
Reaction score
Wired my home in Europe (obviously 220v there). My assumption is wires are wires and as long as the AMPs are covered, it can be used in north america. I have a cottage I want to update some old wiring there, and am considering bringing over the leftovers as it's much cheaper here. Anyone know of a reason (other than colors) this would pose an issue? It's built to carry a higher voltage and more than enough amps, so I can't see it being an issue other than colour coding my ends at the connections to avoid confusion.

If you are talking about using T&E, for North America you will need cable with the same size CPC as the live conductors. That is not the case with UK cable, if that's what you have.

Might be worth looking at the thread below.
As ever, Lucian makes a knowledgeable contribution, which even after his passing, is of value to us:

I suspect European cable won't meet the requirements of the NEC, but not sure 🤔

Last edited:

Reply to Extra wiring leftover from Europe - can it be used in North America? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Switch by the door, pendant holder and a 100W bulb, some will remember, others weren't born yet when it went out of fashion, but this was the...
Replies
Views
Heh I know the brochures for courses with stock images of women using tools in random scenarios but when you're there it never happens, it's all...
Replies
Views
I may have posted this before but not sure if it made it in. I want to install an EV Charger in my garage. The panel is two stories up and the...
Replies
Views
Did anybody take this on at all? Just curious.
Replies
Views
We built a retirement home in the Philippines and relocated here a little less than 2 years ago from Georgia, USA. My wife is a Filipina and owns...
    • Informative
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks