Extractor fan | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Extractor fan in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

peteelecs

If i am fitting an extractor fan in a bathroom that has a large window for light do I need a triple pole isolator as all the power will be coming from the ceiling rose which I can isolate at 6 amp mcb in consumer unit so I will still have plenty of light if I need to service fan?

If there is a window, then I'm sure it is not required.... I only found this out recently (someone corect me if I'm wrong) but I always try and fit one if possible, just habit I suppose. But then again the customer dosent always want an big ugly switch stuck there

Page 65 of the Building Regs states that an isolator is not required if natural light is available, but as good practise, I always fit one in anyway.

Hope this helps.
Sav

above stated is correct although good practice would be to install the isolator, a lot of fans also require fusing down to 3amp as per manufacturers instructions.

i sometimes fit the isolator in the loft, just make sure its accesible as some customers dont want a switch just randomly stuck on their wall. then label its whereabouts on the cert and label the isolator with sticky label saying what it does.

I have always fitted an isolator as some customers wish to turn the fan off at some time not just for repair or replacement. The fan isolators are small and can beplaced as to not be noticed.

Hi
if fitting inline fan i fit isolator next to fan in loft and if fitting a ceiling mounted fan i fit 3pole isolator out side of the room normaly above door with surface mounted back box fitted right up against ceiling or if you have coving just chase a little out so back box slots into it cables pass from loft through the back of coving and it to back box .I always fit as customer has the choice to turn fan off when not needed

Richard

I have always fitted an isolator as some customers wish to turn the fan off at some time not just for repair or replacement. The fan isolators are small and can beplaced as to not be noticed.
where are you buying small isolators from. ? never seen a small , unnoticable one.

where are you buying small isolators from. ? never seen a small , unnoticable one.

They can be used with the un noticeable fans
I have gone in a few houses and seen nothing,no fan,no isolator,nothing

I used to think the householder didn't have a fan
Now I know,they are the un noticeable variety :)

Only joking Bigboy please dont take offence :)

un noticeable fan in our bathroom. it's got a window so no need for a fan ( would only go wrong anyway , and the heat from the 22 non IP Rated GU10s stops condensation as well as anything.)

Page 65 of the Building Regs states that an isolator is not required if natural light is available,

Learn something new on this site every day. Glad I found it.

Would agree with the other point about fitting them anyway due to the manufacturers instructions asking them to be fused down though.

Well as per manufactures instructions isolation should be available. This is a simple straight diagram you can use and give your customer for there records.[ElectriciansForums.net] Extractor fan
Hope this is of help to anyone who wants a simple drawing for there files and customers.

Reply to Extractor fan in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net