Fair Price for Electrical Work | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Fair Price for Electrical Work in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Guys,

I am a property developer currently undertaking a basement conversion on a bungalow in the Glasgow area. Have appointed a building contractor to do the civils including excavation/ tanking etc. The electrician I've used for the last 5 years is not available and the building contractor has suggested a self employed electrician to do the electrical work. The job will be labour and wire only as I'm sourcing and suppling everything else. The job will involve installing 24 downlights, 4 pendant lights, 10 double sockets, 6 smoke/heat alarms, wall extractor, passive air extractor 6 LL sockets in kitchen for dishwasher, Fridge, Oven etc. Access back to main board is easy through basement space under house. I have had verbal quote from builders electrician that is double what I expected to pay. When I asked builder for breakdown on cost per light/socket fitting all the huffing and puffing started. I appreciate that without seeing the job it can be hard to comment but can anybody give me any idea on normal rate per socket/ light fitting or the daily rate I should be paying. Any thoughts on how many days work this might entail would also be welcome. Thanks in advance.

Hi Para.
Just out of interest:
How long has the new electrician said it would take?
How long do you think it will take?
If you are a property developer and have been using the same guy for five years you should have a really good idea of how long the job should take. Why are you asking for an item by item breakdown?

I always give a full itemised breakdown, literally every last nut and bolt, it makes me look more professional and it helps me remember what I need for the job. I'll scan one in and show you.

This is a typical quote, I personally would not expect to see anything less, I cannot stand people who do quotes and just give a figure, you should really justify how its worked out.

I often see quotes from competitors and they look like rubbish, its no wonder I win so many jobs over others round here.

This one is for a job I quote on last week, and have got it and booked in ready to start.

[ElectriciansForums.net] Fair Price for Electrical Work[ElectriciansForums.net] Fair Price for Electrical Work[ElectriciansForums.net] Fair Price for Electrical Work[ElectriciansForums.net] Fair Price for Electrical Work

This is a typical quote, I personally would not expect to see anything less, I cannot stand people who do quotes and just give a figure, you should really justify how its worked out.

I often see quotes from competitors and they look like rubbish, its no wonder I win so many jobs over others round here.

This one is for a job I quote on last week, and have got it and booked in ready to start.
Still using plug sockets I see!

Guys,

I am a property developer currently undertaking a basement conversion on a bungalow in the Glasgow area. Have appointed a building contractor to do the civils including excavation/ tanking etc. The electrician I've used for the last 5 years is not available and the building contractor has suggested a self employed electrician to do the electrical work. The job will be labour and wire only as I'm sourcing and suppling everything else. The job will involve installing 24 downlights, 4 pendant lights, 10 double sockets, 6 smoke/heat alarms, wall extractor, passive air extractor 6 LL sockets in kitchen for dishwasher, Fridge, Oven etc. Access back to main board is easy through basement space under house. I have had verbal quote from builders electrician that is double what I expected to pay. When I asked builder for breakdown on cost per light/socket fitting all the huffing and puffing started. I appreciate that without seeing the job it can be hard to comment but can anybody give me any idea on normal rate per socket/ light fitting or the daily rate I should be paying. Any thoughts on how many days work this might entail would also be welcome. Thanks in advance.

from that job description, i'd guess around the £2000 -£2500 mark, but without seeing it, that's only a ballpark figure.

Reply to Fair Price for Electrical Work in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net