Farm Wiring.... | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Farm Wiring.... in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

DurhamSparky

New Area for me this...

Basically i have fitted a 3P&N 100A Switch Isolator to a supply from NEDL
next step is approximately 100m run in 35MM 4 core swa buried from Service position to a 3phase DB..

my intention is to then fit a secondary "local" isolation point with intergrated fuse links as to not have to rely on the DNO cut out fuses some distance away..!

from this Switch Fuse position im in to a 3phase 8 way Db with 100A 300ma rcd for overall protection. with socket outlets been further reduced to 30ma

then its down to individual circuits each ran at height in black pvc conduit to individual outlets apart from a 3phase corn dryer which will be powered by 5core swa and a manual change over switch position for operation of main/gennerator

have i missed any thing...? ideally whole install would be in SWA but not my decision...!

Shouldn't the switchfuse be at the supply end next to the NEDL intake though mate, to protect the distribution circuit as most DNO's will only guarantee their supply fuses at 4M or so???

i did think that but was not sure...! not a big problem as i can "swap" the isolation points around if required... any other suggestions ??

i did think that but was not sure...! not a big problem as i can "swap" the isolation points around if required... any other suggestions ??

Swap em round....jobs a good un.:)

All sounds good though mate, RCD where needed etc. Dont know if you've got any livestock present in what you're doing....bonding is a bit of a biggy if there is.

Only thing that springs to mind, particularly as you have a corn store in the area is our long tailed rodent friends who would make mincemeat of of PVC conduit....may be worth thinking about perhaps.

yes last shed is FULL OF COWS...

im creating 10 or so earth rod pits around the building exterior and running earth cable to a earth bar located centrally as to connect all together in the DBl.....

Last edited by a moderator:
For the corn store you really are going to have to use SWA and BASEEFA glands and fittings. What with rats and explosive dust I can’t see you have another option.

I was lucky enough to go on a course at the Mines Research Centre (BASEEFA), not only did they cover coal and gas explosions but sugar, flour and other stuff. Not cold boring lectures but lots of bangs and flames, you didn’t forget it in a hurry.

New Area for me this...

from this Switch Fuse position im in to a 3phase 8 way Db with 100A 300ma rcd for overall protection. with socket outlets been further reduced to 30ma
have i missed any thing...? ideally whole install would be in SWA but not my decision...!

You may well find that, that 300mA RCD will trip with the 30mA RCDs in fault conditions, seen it so many, many times!!
You'll find that as others have stated corn stores will require Ex rated equipment and accessories. Where vermin are a real problem, then SWA is a must!! In this case, not only for the vermin issue, but also will make your installation more easily conform to explosion proof (Ex) requirements, as in sealing etc.... Plastic conduit is a no, no in such installations.

I think this Farmer is going to be in for a bit of a shock, as far as how much this installation is going to end up costing him!!! lol!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh Yes

300ma is a Type S (time delayed for 5 day wonders)
SWA is now the Wiring Choice (after talking to farmer)
due to Voltage drop and cable lenghts a new "Switch Room" is been fabricated out of block and sheeting to house DB1 which will in turn Power Corn Dryer from remote position and also give power to external lighting and also as a feeder DB to DB2 which will be located in the middle shed (workshop) from there lighting and general power will be distributed to sheds 1,2,3....

i was fitting IP Rated lights in the grain store 2x70w Weatherproof High Frequency Fluorescent Fitting (6FT) | Meteor Electrical Wholesaler |Trade Prices are they suitable or do any one have other choice... (just ripped from meteour elec site for guidence)

all other sheds will have Low bay fittings..!! what lamp shall i fit Halide or Sodium...? inclined to go with Halide TBH

also all socket outlets will be commando 230 and 400 mixture..!

(when i say grain store it is a store but it is partially open to elements with the upper walls only wooden structure with gaps of 1 inch between boards...!) still treating it as such though

A really interesting post there Durham sparky, I may have a very similar job in the pipeline in a couple of months time. As it's a new type of area for me to have worked on, keep me updated on any problems you may encounter. As for the wiring of corn driers, i would be interested to know how these work, are wired and controlled. I understand every installation will differ, but any pointers would be gratefully welcomed. Thanks!

Reply to Farm Wiring.... in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net