Fault Protection | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Fault Protection in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

samh909

Hi, I have a question:

The initial inspection is being carried out at the distribution board (CCU) in the intake room of a property.

List three items providing fault protection within this area of the installation.

Thanks

see you've managed it. think about the question. what would happen at or near the CU if there was a short L-E on the installation, and why?

Sorry if I'm rather late but is the answer one of the following
1. Electrical separation
2. The use of free equipotential bonding
3. The of Class II (double insulated) equipment
4. The provision of a non-conducting location

Thank you in advance :).

Sorry if I'm rather late but is the answer one of the following
1. Electrical separation

Thank you in advance :).
Im at a loss here .. what is the question to start with .... we happy to guide you but we won't be giving you answers as that's not how you learn...hints only; if your been asked these questions then you should have it within your notes.

I would have thought the above answers were in reference to a different question to the one the OP posted.

Basically I have the same question as above.

Exposed conductive parts such as metalwork (in this case the CCU) become live as a result of a fault meaning it may become charged with electricity in such a manner that it could cause danger.

(Am I right in what I've said above?)

I need 3 forms of fault protection in this area

The list I provided:
1. Electrical separation
5. Protective equipotenial bonding coupled with automatic disconnection of the supply (Forgot to add this)

[I think I'm just overlooking the situation]

If you listen closely to the seniors (the guys with the red names) you will find that they are trying to get you to use the knowledge that you already have to find the right answer. No point in giving out the answers as that way people don't learn. They just memorize an answer.

The OP asked for three items providing FAULT protection in the area of CU.

What devices operate in this location when there is an overload FAULT?
What device operates when there is an earth FAULT?
What device operates when there is big short circuit/overload travelling on the supply cable into your installation?

If you listen closely to the seniors (the guys with the red names) you will find that they are trying to get you to use the knowledge that you already have to find the right answer. No point in giving out the answers as that way people don't learn. They just memorize an answer.

The OP asked for three items providing FAULT protection in the area of CU.

What devices operate in this location when there is an overload FAULT?
What device operates when there is an earth FAULT?
What device operates when there is big short circuit/overload travelling on the supply cable into your installation?

Thanks Jabba,
lucky enough my teacher taught us about MCBs, RCDs and RCBOs but thanks for guiding me in the right direction.

Reply to Fault Protection in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net