Fire alarm grade | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Fire alarm grade in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just been asked to design a fire alarm system for a 4 storey building.
Toyshop ground floor
Hardware store 1st floor
Rental flats 2nd and 3rd.

I have installed a few alarm systems, but never designed one.
Am I right is saying grade a,
With a sounder per floor and alarm in circulation spaces?

Help would be appreciated
Thanks

So escape routes and rooms with risk of fire??
Thanks for the reply.
I have to go look and price it tomorrow eve. So just trying to see what I'm looking at first. Lol

got to ask have you got the qualifacations/experience to design a fire alarm system for a building that has public access and will the building insurance company /fire authority accept it

It is also worth looking up the British Standards. This is one time you have to get it right, and i mean cock on right.
It isnt a difficult thing to do.
The last fire alarm i installed, i took guidance from the relevant BS, West Yorkshire Fire Brigade, Local Council, and House of multiple occupancy licensing agency as it was a HMO.

Some local authorities ask for more than the british standards, so its worth asking all.

At least when i had done it, at a subsequent HMO inspection, the comment was, "That is a bit over the top". I sleep well at night.

Cheers...........Howard

It is also worth looking up the British Standards. This is one time you have to get it right, and i mean cock on right.
It isnt a difficult thing to do.
The last fire alarm i installed, i took guidance from the relevant BS, West Yorkshire Fire Brigade, Local Council, and House of multiple occupancy licensing agency as it was a HMO.

Some local authorities ask for more than the british standards, so its worth asking all.

At least when i had done it, at a subsequent HMO inspection, the comment was, "That is a bit over the top". I sleep well at night.

Cheers...........Howard

couldnt agree more,if in doubt over spec..

got to ask have you got the qualifacations/experience to design a fire alarm system for a building that has public access and will the building insurance company /fire authority accept it

I done a FIA fire installers course a few years ago.
This is the first system I have been asked to design. Which is why I asked for some info.
I can be rather ---- for getting things right so maybe that will pay off lol

Its going to be down to approval and risk assessment, so first design your system to L1, if requested then reduce level. There are many pointers to look out for in stores such as this like lift shafts shutdowns etc. I always request cad drawings so I can design the system, then submit new fire cad drawings for approval. This way the design is approved alongside the risk assessment and everyone is happy. I`m sure if you get stuck we can spare an hour or so to help a fellow member with a cad design

I've had that a few times did a HMO conversion for a relative up in Scotland and had comments from the fire officer about the intumescent hinge pads and lock blocks and that this was the first time he had seen them fitted

Did a fire alarm in my brothers day nursery a few years ago and was asked why it was so over spec'ed by the fire officer my reply was that for the minimal extra cost now it will more than likely comply or only require a small amount of work to adjust to future regulatory changes also what price do you put on ensuring other peoples children are safe

With a shop I would ensure that you cover any store rooms and staff / mess rooms as they are often left with heaters on and nobody in them, prime place for a fire to start

Have just got back from the meeting with the fire officer.
He was very happy with my suggestions and is going to do the drawing himself lol. As he said he always does. So that covers me. :)

Although he hasn't covered the rear store, which I think I will add.

Thanks for all your help

Thats a first for a fire officer to submit drawings, but this will help you out. Quick point which may help if store has large floor area and height is over 12 meters, good saving on labour costs is to use beam detection, better than fitting large numbers of optical smokes. We use alot in large stores and makes the job far easier.
Hope all goes well

Reply to Fire alarm grade in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net