Fire alarm power supply | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Fire alarm power supply in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

ses

-
Reaction score
Good morning all

I have a customer who after having refurbished his house was informed by the council that A cat D LD3 fire alarm system was needed

Its not possible to install this without trashing his house (even with Aico wireless bases)

It has been decided to fit a completely radio fire alarm system with main panel the usual type I have fitted in nursing homes etc when I was an apprentice some years back
Closer to Grade A except no call points.

The fire panel supply is a bit of a problem because the fuseboard only has a spare way on the rcd protected side (dual rcd board)
There is no room for a separate fuse board or henley blocks etc as the board and meter are in a cupboard and fire panel just has room to go below.

Options seem to be
Rcd protected feed (fp) panel will have 72 hour battery backup

Feed direct from load side of main switch
(Obviously frowned upon these days and possibly not accepted anymore)

Or alter board config for one unprotected mcb next to main switch but neutral will have to come direct from load side of main switch as no unprotected neutral bar

What do you think is the better option

If your cable requires RCD then it has to have an RCD.
It's no RCD unless required for electrical safety.

Cables does not require rcd
There is no un protected side

Its a new dual rcd board with two rcds and two rcd protected neutral bars thats the problem

Do away with 1 of the RCD's and fit a switch for that side of the cu. Then use RCBO's for circuits that need 30mA protection and use a MCB in the spare way for the FA panel.

Not a bad idea and a possibility
One thing i should have mentioned is that I may have not checked the board properly when original quote was done so fitting rcbos will hurt my wallet a lot

Does it need a panel?
I would of thought a grade D could be domestic smokes/heats with battery backup and interlinked. They could be radio link.

LD3 is what most domestic systems are.

Hi Andyb
If you read the post it states why i cant fit interlinked radio smokes

No power is available to feed the bases without destroying the house all lighting is loop in and out at light switches all flooring is tiles and realwood and the ceilings are all period newly refurbished

Hi Andyb
If you read the post it states why i cant fit interlinked radio smokes

No power is available to feed the bases without destroying the house all lighting is loop in and out at light switches all flooring is tiles and realwood and the ceilings are all period newly refurbished

Got that now Ses,

Must read post before replying.

Reply to Fire alarm power supply in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net