First time quote advice. | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss First time quote advice. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I am after some advice on quoting for my first domestic job for a contractor (I have only done jobs for friends who were happy for day work).

I have been asked to quote for a small external domestic boiler room (3m x 1m). The plan is that the boiler room is to be knocked down (currently blockwork room) and rebuilt (timber) and firewalled inside.

The room currently has an oil fired boiler which provides heating for 4 small flats and 1 circulating pump.

I have attached some pictures to show you whats going on in there at the moment.

From what I can tell is there is a ring main that has been broken into (old grey sheath T&E inside the double surface box with a blank faceplate) to supply the FCU. Inside the box is also a spur to an old style single fuse board. The fuse board (left) is live but has no outgoing wiring. There is also a 2nd fuse board (right) which again is live but has no outgoing wiring. This 2nd board appears to be fed from a cable coming down from the roof space of one of the flats (have not got access into either flat to investigate further as of yet ).

[ElectriciansForums.net] First time quote advice. [ElectriciansForums.net] First time quote advice. [ElectriciansForums.net] First time quote advice.

So back to the FCU, after the FCU is a private meter, I belive this is used to divide the cost of oil between the 4 flats. From the meter we come to a time clock, then into a joint box which connects the boiler and circulating pump. All wiring described and pictured is 2.5mm T&E.

[ElectriciansForums.net] First time quote advice.

The job I am quoting for is to isolate and remove all electrics inside during the demolishing stage. And once the new building has been completed, installing a new wiring system, which will more than likely be a plastic conduit installation.

What kind of price do you think would be resonable (I usually charge £20 per hour labour).

Thanks for your time in advance!

Thanks for the quick replies.

I was thinking the job should not really take more than 12hrs as long as I can isolate the 2nd board which has the feed from the roof easily. The figure I was looking at was about £300-£350, does that sound resonable or silly?

Luckily travel time and cost isnt really an issue as im on a small island and you are never more than 15mins from anywhere.

I hadnt planned to provide a temp supply although I could by installing a weather proof socket on the ring that everything seem to be fed from at the moment as that wall is to remain in place and that installation is protected by an RCD.

I was also having a little think about this spur issue. Should the new boiler room installation have a seperate feed from a DB? It is only going to be supplying the boiler and circulation pump, no lights, no extra sockets.

a 3A FCU spurred off the RFC is acceptable for a boiler. but do whatever is specced for the job if said spec. is done by others.

Reply to First time quote advice. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net