Fitness advice | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Fitness advice in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

millwall ken

Hi all,
Kick started my New Years pledge today; to get my fat a*** back into some sort of shape. Now I know that there are more than a few fitness fanatics on this site so it'll be to them that I'm seeking advise from.
Now, I should state that I'm not in any way new to exercise and fitness - indeed this time last year I done a bleep test and attained a score of 11.2.
I have also played a lot of rugby in the past, but none in the last five years.
However due to an injury that I picked up on a half marathon last february, I was unable to train for a couple of months - and what with a young baby, odd working hours, bouts of unemployment, the list goes on and on, it has turned into a year since I've done any sort of fitness training.
This has had the obvious consequence on my weight, and I have ballooned to just under 14 stone from 10 and a half stone.
Now to be honest I won't be joining a gym, as I have a full set of free weights and decent bench, a treadmil, stepper and heavy weight punch bag - as I used to be a pretty good amateur at one time. Now what I was planning to do - as time constraints are a real issue in my life, is to spend the next month on the treadmil in order to build up a baseline of fitness. After a month, I then intend to shift up a gear into HIIT twice a week for the cardio. It will be during this month that I intend to start doing some weights as well (3 times a week), I was thinking of just starting with 3 sets of 8 reps to begin with and up it each week until I get to 12 reps. After which I would up the weight.
Now can anyone give me any advice, suggestions or a critic on this formula please.

First things first excercise is ok but what are you eating ? chuck out the big kit kat at tea break, or the pie and a pint at knocking off time, and what I did was get a bike for the short runs to the shop for the paper OK this may not be the cure all but it's a start just joking but I do admire your enthusiasm
Pict

get some kettle bells, u can u tube some workouts which only take about ten mins per day. This is ideal if u have not got much time, like myself and is real good for burning calories and building core strength, without bulking out too much! They are quite cheap too, ie start with a 16kg for about 6 months and go from there?!
Its what the ruskies have always used and are superb, believe me!

First things first excercise is ok but what are you eating ? chuck out the big kit kat at tea break, or the pie and a pint at knocking off time, and what I did was get a bike for the short runs to the shop for the paper OK this may not be the cure all but it's a start just joking but I do admire your enthusiasm
Pict
Yer food is sorted now, I've always had a real problem with food as I just love cooking. However, I didn't really notice it before because I've always kept fit before and kept the body fat to just under 10%.

get some kettle bells, u can u tube some workouts which only take about ten mins per day. This is ideal if u have not got much time, like myself and is real good for burning calories and building core strength, without bulking out too much! They are quite cheap too, ie start with a 16kg for about 6 months and go from there?!
Its what the ruskies have always used and are superb, believe me!
Hi Pablo, yer I've used kettle bells before, so I know that they are great for stripping body fat. I will be aiming to get some in the near future, this is just the sort of advice that I wanted. 16kg sounds about right as well. Do you have any thoughts on power bags?

horses for courses really, i also use a turbo trainer for my bike when i only have about half an hour or so and want a change, set it up in dining room and watch a movie and the time really flies...................also it takes up very little room.
a decent one is about £100 but worth the money if u have a bike already. I havent used a power bag so cant comment really?!

I also find with the kettle bells is that after a while, although u think the weight needs upping, a better technique is achieved and this is far more beneficial in my eyes.

I did 10 mins at 50% on the x-trainer, then 1 hour of back and bicep workout, then 15 minutes at 50% random setting on the x-trainer and 2 minutes at 8kph, 16 minutes at 10kph, 1 minute at 12kph and 1 minute at 14kph on the treadmill. Before Xmas this was an easy workout, but it nearly killed me today - glad the gym was almost empty!!

I'm 14stone, 5ft 10 and have been obese most of my life!! lol

I went back to the gym this morning after my month off for Christmas and nearly died. Thought I'd share that with you!

Ive just been to the gym and theres a new machine.I could only use it for 10 minutes as i started to feel sick.. Its good though and does everthing: kit kats,mars bars,snickers...:)

Watch a re-run of the one show from last night on Iplayer, very interesting on a way to gain fitness with very little time involved and proved to be worthwhile.

Something along the lines of running flat out for 30 seconds then resting for 30 and repeating this a few times and a couple of days a week. Little time taken and fantastic results for one person using the system who lost a stone over 5 weeks of testing!

Start slow, build up.

I went off phys for a while and its really easy to start off as you last finished; big mistake. Asics have a great online fitness program tool, check it out at

My ASICS

Its a really good tool. Biggest piece of advice, get a programme and stick to it. If its snowing, raining, windy, crack on with it. If its not raining, its not training! Key to this is time constrained targets, so start with 10k per week, you decide how much to do. Any Ks missed get added to the following week, unless you are injured.

If you are struggling with running due to your old injury, there are a couple of fitness vids (I know, you are thinking jane fonda now....) that are actually very good, if you can cope with the missus laughing at you doing a fitness vid.

I started with P90, and do some of the P90X training sessions when I am up to it. I warn you though, P90X is not for the feint hearted, not only have you got to put up with cheesy fitness instructors, but the reps they go through are pretty punishing, we are talking minute of pull ups (min 7), a minute of wide arm push ups, followed by another minute of pull ups, with cardio in between. If you are interested, I have the dvds on memory stick. PM me if interested.

Biggest ways of increasing cardio fitness imho would be some form of circuit training, perhaps fartlek Fartlek - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

alternatively, get involved in a spinning class. I warn you, its not for the feint hearted and the first few sessions are absolute agony.

Last edited by a moderator:
Start slow, build up.

I went off phys for a while and its really easy to start off as you last finished; big mistake. Asics have a great online fitness program tool, check it out at

My ASICS

Its a really good tool. Biggest piece of advice, get a programme and stick to it. If its snowing, raining, windy, crack on with it. If its not raining, its not training! Key to this is time constrained targets, so start with 10k per week, you decide how much to do. Any Ks missed get added to the following week, unless you are injured.

If you are struggling with running due to your old injury, there are a couple of fitness vids (I know, you are thinking jane fonda now....) that are actually very good, if you can cope with the missus laughing at you doing a fitness vid.

I started with P90, and do some of the P90X training sessions when I am up to it. I warn you though, P90X is not for the feint hearted, not only have you got to put up with cheesy fitness instructors, but the reps they go through are pretty punishing, we are talking minute of pull ups (min 7), a minute of wide arm push ups, followed by another minute of pull ups, with cardio in between. If you are interested, I have the dvds on memory stick. PM me if interested.

Biggest ways of increasing cardio fitness imho would be some form of circuit training, perhaps fartlek Fartlek - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

alternatively, get involved in a spinning class. I warn you, its not for the feint hearted and the first few sessions are absolute agony.

Hi fella, great post. I've heard of fartlek, but have never tried it as it seems pretty much like HIIT. I've done spinning before, mainly because of the chance to perv at girls butts!!! After all old people like me don't often get a chance to stare at young girls bums... As for pull ups, I think that I'd struggle to complete two of them now. My record was just over 30, but that was when I was a lot younger (and black and white telly had just been introduced). I think I'd struggle with them now even with a Pitbull ripping my a*** off. I'm gonna goggle p90x training though, so cheers mate.

Sorry to but in to this exhausting thread Ken,but weight problems and such are a mystery to me. the effort people have to put in to maintain their good health is fascinating

I am very lucky indeed
Smoked like a trooper since 9 years old
Drank like a fish since 20 something
Eat whatever I happen to fancy at any time

The consequences
Nearing the hang the boots up age
No grey hair whaysoever,never had any variation in weight (at all )
Still able to jump up an attic and trot up and down stairs all day

Never ever seen the inside of a gym since my air force days.

Sometimes I smile when seeing somebody my own sort of age trotting along the roads, with their tounges hanging out, and their feet scraping along the tarmac, whilst the beer belly swills back and forth,it looks like too much effort and I think i would prefer riding a zimmer frame if I had to do that

Dont go pulling any back muscles lifting those weights or the pain may make your wallet hurt
If you get back to your fighting weight,go easy on the 5 day wonders :)

Sorry to but in to this exhausting thread Ken,but weight problems and such are a mystery to me. the effort people have to put in to maintain their good health is fascinating

I am very lucky indeed

The consequences

Sometimes I smile when seeing somebody my own sort of age trotting along the roads, with their tounges hanging out, and their feet scraping along the tarmac, whilst the beer belly swills back and forth,it looks like too much effort and I think i would prefer riding a zimmer frame if I had to do that

Dont go pulling any back muscles lifting those weights or the pain may make your wallet hurt

I'm rapidly going off you Des!

I am very lucky indeed

The consequences

Des, I hate people like you mate. Lol My bloody brother is like you, He can eat crap all day, drink all night, and can still beat me over 100m. And on top of it all, he has film star good looks, speaks four languages and a straight nose and perfect railings. He doesn't even have a bloody filling!!! However, I reckon that I make him look like a female donkey...... Well you get my drift mate.

most sunday mornings i can be found tearing down the black route at hamsterley on mountain bike, collar bone broke twice, most o my ribs , left wrist, right knee and ankle over a million bumps scrapes and cuts, new years resolution to start taking it a bit easier.

Reply to Fitness advice in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net