Fitting an Oven | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Fitting an Oven in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

leslie

I am having a new oven fitted, the new one is a single oven, that runs off a 13amp plug. The existing oven is hard wired into a cooker point which runs directly into the main fuse board .my question is can the existing cooker point be used to plug the new oven in, or is it best to do away with this completely , and extend the ring main and add a double plug socket.I do understand that the existing cooker cable is 6mm.
Regards

It depends on the makers instructions.
It is very likely that they REQUIRE the oven to be fused at 13amps (like the fuse in the plug).
If you cut the plug off and connect the oven direct to the cooker point then the fuse wil be whatever is in the consumer unit (32amp/40amp?).

So, if there is a fault in the cooker and it goes bang then also bang goes your warranty.

It would be best to take off the cooker connection plate on the wall and swop it for a 13amp single socket (unswitched would be best). Then plug your oven in.
PS turn the power off and carry out safe isolation routines before you get busy with a screwdriver.
[ElectriciansForums.net] Fitting an Oven

If the cooker point that you have is the isolator for a cooker and has a socket integrated with the switch then you could just plug the cooker into that socket (and make sure that the old cable from the switch to the cooker is disconnected).

Otherwise I agree with what TTC says; socket in place of CCU, not recommended to remove the plug.

How many more times do we have to state on this forum ...the fuse within plug tops is for the protection of the supplied flexible cable, ...NOT the appliance!!! And NO the warranty of the appliance would not be void if a fault within the appliance goes bang!! These manufacturers supply the exact same appliances all over the world, and most such countries do NOT have fuses within the plug tops!! There is absolutely nothing stopping the OP from using a double connection plate fed from the cooker control unit to supply both cooking appliances.

All this crap about cutting a moulded plug of a cable voids the warranty is total bull, it is just a ploy by some of the so called warranty providers, to illegally fail to perform their duties under the manufacturers warranty terms. Any appliance connection to the utility supply conforming to BS7671 by a competent person/electrician cannot be deemed as misuse or alteration to void a warranty, ...End Of!!!

Ouch!
We have a difference of opinion. Its true that a fuse is there to protect the cable. Also some manufacturers WILL specify the fuse for their appliance. That's why, at the start of my response, I said
It depends on the makers instructions
SO, I don't have the MI's, so I've covered the base.

Just to cover the other point from the OP
is it best to do away with this completely , and extend the ring main and add a double plug socket.

Do not do this. Firstly, ring final circuits are not designed for long-term loads like a 3KW oven. The recommendation from BS7671 is that it is not good practise for loads of more than 2KW to be connected to a ring final circuit.

So, use that cooker circuit, that's what it is for - and follow the MI's !

We have a difference of opinion. Its true that a fuse is there to protect the cable. Also some manufacturers WILL specify the fuse for their appliance. That's why, at the start of my response

If an appliance requires a fuse for it's protection, (ie PC circuit boards etc) then the manufacture will include that fuse or cut-out devise within the appliance. Plug top HRC fuses do not comply for appliance protection purposes, they are there purely to protect the appliance cord, and sized according to the CSA of the conductors of the flexible cable provided...

If an appliance requires a fuse for it's protection, (ie PC circuit boards etc) then the manufacture will include that fuse or cut-out devise within the appliance. Plug top HRC fuses do not comply for appliance protection purposes, they are there purely to protect the appliance cord, and sized according to the CSA of the conductors of the flexible cable provided...
yes...hense fast-acting fuses placed within certain appliances...

LOL, just buy a double connection unit which can still be switched from the cooker switch above the worktop and connect both the oven and hob into it, if your really worried about cutting the plug connect a single socket to the double connection unit along side the hob cable and fit it somewhere accessable.

How many more times do we have to state on this forum ...the fuse within plug tops is for the protection of the supplied flexible cable, ...NOT the appliance!!! And NO the warranty of the appliance would not be void if a fault within the appliance goes bang!! These manufacturers supply the exact same appliances all over the world, and most such countries do NOT have fuses within the plug tops!! There is absolutely nothing stopping the OP from using a double connection plate fed from the cooker control unit to supply both cooking appliances.

All this crap about cutting a moulded plug of a cable voids the warranty is total bull, it is just a ploy by some of the so called warranty providers, to illegally fail to perform their duties under the manufacturers warranty terms. Any appliance connection to the utility supply conforming to BS7671 by a competent person/electrician cannot be deemed as misuse or alteration to void a warranty, ...End Of!!!

Does this not contradict itself, if you remove the plug top how is the supplied flexible cable now protected?

Does this not contradict itself, if you remove the plug top how is the supplied flexible cable now protected?

The same way, as in all the other countries that DON'T have fused plug tops !!! An oven cannot be subject to overloading, only short circuit, to which the correctly sized protecting MCB/HRC fuse is more than capable of clearing!!!

I probably got mixed up reading all the other posts, anyhow my point is if there is another appliance whether an hob or an oven the OP could fit a new dual outlet and connect the existing plus a bit of T&E from the other part of the dual outlet to a new single socket as well if he didn't want to cut the plug off. if no other hob or oven then yeah just change the existing outlet for a single socket

Reply to Fitting an Oven in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net