Fitting downlights in ceiling - near main gas feed pipe? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Fitting downlights in ceiling - near main gas feed pipe? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mds1256

I am wanting to fit downlights into my ceiling, however having looked where I want to put them there is a main gas feed from the meter to the boiler running along the roof (along the side of a ceiling joint). Where I want the downlight (3 of them in a row) is along the same joist and hence right beside the gas pipe. Looking at where they will be it should be around 4-5cms away from the side of the downlight. Would this be ok or is there something stopping me from running the downlights so close to this pipe (with heat etc)?

The instructions in the fittings will give you a required clearance neccessary for that fitting so I would apply this clearance to the pipe as well, as this varies with brand then I cannot give you a yes or no answer, if you haven't got the fittings yet see if you can download the installation instructions.

@ Household gas pressure with a pipe no bigger than 35mm CSA, switch gear needs to be 150mm away from the gas pipe and cables 50mm away.

As above by DW, manufacturers instructions for down lights will ask for a minimum of 100mm distance from any joists & insulation. This is to prevent the build up of heat and over heating the fitting so not to melt and/or catch fire.

normally, the recommended clearance from a joist is about 6", so if you work on 6" min. from the gas pipe, you should be OK. are you planning to use LED fittings?

Hi, thanks for the quick replies! The plan is to use LEDs but just want to make sure that if anyone swaps them out with normal bulbs then they are still safe.

Whoops, may I correct myself.

150mm from main supply equipment eg, main fuse/cut out, isolation switches and C/U's.

25mm (not 50mm as above) away from switches, sockets and cable.

Whoops, may I correct myself.

150mm from main supply equipment eg, main fuse/cut out, isolation switches and C/U's.

25mm (not 50mm as above) away from switches, sockets and cable.

Thanks for the reply, so the cables need to be min of 25mm away I light fitments also come under that too?, was more worried about the heat but I will try to keep in mind the manufactures recommendations too.

On a slightly different topic when replacing just a normal light pendant with down lights what is the max you would run from that one connection? I am looking to install 6 of them running 5w LEDs but using my same principle in the event that someone swaps them with halogens then would 6 x 50w bulbs be ok running from that one connection?

Thanks again for the replies.

Thanks for the reply, so the cables need to be min of 25mm away I light fitments also come under that too?, was more worried about the heat but I will try to keep in mind the manufactures recommendations too.

Basically 25mm away from anything conducting 230V electricity, so yes.

[/QUOTE] On a slightly different topic when replacing just a normal light pendant with down lights what is the max you would run from that one connection? I am looking to install 6 of them running 5w LEDs but using my same principle in the event that someone swaps them with halogens then would 6 x 50w bulbs be ok running from that one connection?

Thanks again for the replies.[/QUOTE]

Are the lights in your house on one or two fuses/MCB's? Even if they are all on one (worst case) 5A rewire-able fuse, count up how many light fittings are in your home and X it by 50w.... That would be your total possible load for that circuit (without using diversity, lads lets not get into that at this stage lol).

Tell us what your total loading is on that circuit and we can take it from there.

Basically 25mm away from anything conducting 230V electricity, so yes.

Are the lights in your house on one or two fuses/MCB's? Even if they are all on one (worst case) 5A rewire-able fuse, count up how many light fittings are in your home and X it by 50w.... That would be your total possible load for that circuit (without using diversity, lads lets not get into that at this stage lol).

Tell us what your total loading is on that circuit and we can take it from there.

Looking at the consumer unit its split into two sides. Each side has smaller trips along with a bigger one.

Where the ground floor lighting is that is running on a Hager MTN106 B6? Along with the larger 63 amp trip.

looking at all of the ground floor lights (same floor as these new spots will be on) the total watts is 255 watts. 15 of them watts is the one that will be removed when putting up 6x 5w down lights. However can you calculate it based on 6x 50w halogens being used just so I am sure it will be ok if LEDs weren't used?

thanks again

Reply to Fitting downlights in ceiling - near main gas feed pipe? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net