Fixed wiring report results...can anyone help? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Fixed wiring report results...can anyone help? in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Sonor

Hello

I've been asked by a client to rectify the problems discovered after a fixed wiring report on one of their retail buildings.

The report states that "No RCD protection for all sockets rated up to 20A", Apart from any sockets located exterior to the building which are on RCD's.

I was under the impression that this mainly applies to domestic properties where the occupant is classified as an "ordinary person".

When it came to commercial property as long as there are "instructed people" this reg did not need to be applied.

It seems to me that it's a bit of a grey area as instructed persons would need to understand the EWR1989 and the operation of electrical regulations BS EN 50110 for the regulation not to apply.

Now in reality, while management of the retail building may have been given training with regards to EWR1989/BS EN 50110, I doubt they would be able to remember much of it.

Secondly, they have cleaners that use the sockets and they seem to be classed as ordinary persons, there is a cafe with WIFI, but customers are not allowed to plug their laptops into sockets.

Is the test and inspection company being overly cautious?

Sonor,
411.3.3 [additional protection for socket-outlets not exceeding 20A, used by ordinary persons] is not specific on location. It is a means of additional protection. This is further detailed in section 415

Are you getting mixed up with Part P?

Hope I haven't offended you!

AIM

AIM, thanks for your reply, no you haven't offended.

I thought it was to do with Part P only as well, but they have flagged this on a commercial property and when I checked out some ECA info on it, it said if EWR1989 and BS EN 50110 are applied and the "instructed person" is adequately advised then this reg is generally not applied.

But being a commercial property it means public enter the building. I personally think it's the testing and inspection company going over the top.

Reply to Fixed wiring report results...can anyone help? in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net