Flush to Surface 2 gang box | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Flush to Surface 2 gang box in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

DONES

Vision TC2 BACKBOX2G 2-Gang-Backbox White at Projectorshop24.co.uk

Hi Everyone,

Hope someone can point me in the right direction.
I'm looking for something similar to what is in the link. Basically a surface mounted box that screws onto an existing recessed metal clad back box.
The difference with the one in the link is that it would have threaded screwholes at the back as well as the front allowing it to be fixed to a metal clad box before fixing my face plate.
I'm sure i've used what i've described before but after a conversation that went nowhere in my local suppliers I am beginning to doubt myself.

Cheers in advance,
DONES

Sorry for not explaining correctly,

what i need is a two gang surface mounted box to fit onto a two gang recessed metal back box.

If I am right in thinking they exist, it would look like a two gang surface mounted pvc box with no back to it. Kind of like an extension plate or back entry box.

Sorry for not explaining correctly,

what i need is a two gang surface mounted box to fit onto a two gang recessed metal back box.

If I am right in thinking they exist, it would look like a two gang surface mounted pvc box with no back to it. Kind of like an extension plate or back entry box.
Just use a normal one and some long screws

Don't mean to be funny, but why do you want to fit a twin surface box onto a twin recessed box, just interested that's all

Hi all,

Dead short had developed between an outlet on the ring and a spur. Customer had wanted the spur reinstated and so the option chosen was to feed from nearest socket in a small run of mini trunking. Spur was on a tiled wall above worktop, thus having to fit a surface mounted box and enter through knock out below.

The problem with using a normal 2 gang box is that in order to screw back to the wall, I'll have to terminate and fix the frontplate to the pvc box and then to the metal back box in that order, meaning if someone wants to unscrew the front plate, the pvc box will come away with it.

Getting used to the delay in seeing my posts come up, sorry if it takes a while to reply.

I'm still pretty sure what i'm describing does exist, and have been searching on suppliers websites for the last few hours, however have come up with nada.

Not sure of this but I think there may be some fixing holes in a normal twin back box, I have some in the garage, but I'm to comfy and it's cold and wet, I can check tomoz, but I expect by then you may have checked yourself by then.

Sorry here I was thinking it was a single metal box you needed to fix back to and someone else had already tried that one for you, I'll have another beer and go back to sleep

Simple fix - drill out the ferrules from a surface box (not the hard plastic ones, the MK conduit access type - I forget the number) and use some long 3.5mm screws. You'll obviously need to put a hole in the back of the box to bring the cables through.

You'll be fastening the front plate through the back box and onto the flush box. Done this loads and works a treat.

If you are trying to fit a surface box on top of a recessed box using the recessed box accessory lugs and then wanting to fix a socket on to the pvc surface box then this would not be possible because in order to tighten the screws fitting the pvc box to the recessed box, you would need to place the screwdriver in line with the location of the accessory screws for the socket as they will all be inline with each other.

The method posted above will work most easily but would as you say leave the PVC box loose when taking the socket front off.

Possibly you could drill out the fixing points on the PVC box almost to the back of the PVC box and then use screw extension studs through the PVC box into the recessed box, this would hold the PVC box in place, then screw the socket front onto the extension stud.
and using my magic Photoshop skills!
View attachment 21636

Murdoch - the customer has had a bad problem with rats, have asked and checked on any diy along the assumed run so have decided it could be the critters

Rich-G - That was my first option, then when i was tightening all back to the metal clad box i tightened too much causing the pvc to crack meaning it wouldn't sit tight to the wall. Raging.

Richard Burns - Thanks for the idea, i had thought about that but decided the screw extensions would be too deep anyway, but i may have a toy around with it before i go back as there are some other jobs still to do. Appreciate the time taking for the photoshop skills.

Cheers all for your contributions.

Reply to Flush to Surface 2 gang box in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net