flyers | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss flyers in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

lurch

-
Reaction score
My work has pretty much been through word of mouth and recommendation, however work has been a bit light for me since Christamas, and although I expect things to pick up as spring is with us, I am thinking on embarking on getting some flyers printed and get them amongst the community.

I would be interested for some feedback on some of you experiences regarding style of flyer, black and white vs colour glossy, big and bold vs smal and discreet. . . etc . . . .

Ive done flyering to about 300 houses.

All i got was someone asking if i did PAT and a retired electrician trying to sell me left over stock! I didnt bother again after that.

People either ask around for a sparks or look for an advertised electrician.

The only real way of drumming up business is advertising in your local area or helping family, friends or other tradesmen when your not busy which always comes in handy a month or two down the line when work drys out.

Thats what i do and i rarely have a day off!!

I tried advert in the local community paper it cost me £128 and I got a £60 job out of it I have MS office 2007 so I made up a double sided postcard size and payed £65 for 5000 well it has paid itself back tenfold plus get the exercise going around the doors I had another flyer but it was too big I only realised this when a customer got my postcard size one and pinned it on her notice board as she thought it would come in handy. Then she called me 3 months later. Remember this as you trudge around and then nothing then 2-3 months later you get the phone calls.

Also I do not do installs just repair and modifications electrical and alarms

I forgot to add I made the flyer in MS Publisher then converted it to PDF and mailed it to the printers

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried advert in the local community paper it cost me £128 and I got a £60 job out of it I have MS office 2007 so I made up a double sided postcard size and payed £65 for 5000 well it has paid itself back tenfold plus get the exercise going around the doors I had another flyer but it was too big I only realised this when a customer got my postcard size one and pinned it on her notice board as she thought it would come in handy. Then she called me 3 months later. Remember this as you trudge around and then nothing then 2-3 months later you get the phone calls.

Also I do not do installs just repair and modifications electrical and alarms

I forgot to add I made the flyer in MS Publisher then converted it to PDF and mailed it to the printers

Yep ..... I did a similar thing.

I composed my ad. in Publisher, then bought a pack of blank postcards & used my printer to print the ad. on them.

I then posted them through every letterbox in the street where I happened to be working and if there was a corner shop nearby, I would pay to have one displayed in the shop window or on the shop's notice board.

It worked for me & it worked a Hell of a lot better than the ad. I was running in Yellow Page at the time which proved to be a complete waste of money.

Use postcards - rather than paper for your flyers - as then tend be be "kept" while bits of paper don't.

Instead of flyers have you thought of cards ? more likely to be kept i find. Mainly by older types i mind add but flyers dont even get looked at and go in the bin. Perhaps they are harder to pick up so get looked at for longer :)

You beat me to it !

Last edited:
I also do work for a letting agent so when I visit a property ie a block of flats I take flyers as a lot of them have tenant noticeboards so instead of going around the doors trudging up and down the stairs I use one to cover the whole stair and it has got me some work I also use the free add in yellow pages plus any internet sites

Just today I did a 1/2 day job from a leaflet job I did in October 2010.

My flyers are "rackcards" from Vista, are double sided, glossy on one side, and matt on the other.

My hit rate is about 4% BUT just because you did a leaflet drop yesterday doesn't mean you'll get jobs tomorrow.

My best one was a full rewire, and from that I now have an excellent working relationship with a plumber which gets me about 2 days work every month.

Doing nothing is not an option.

It depends how you target the customer and the layout of your flyer as for me I spent the dark winter nights (with a beer) fine tuning it ie asked the family what do you think does it catch your eye does it tell you what I am all about the replies where dont like the colour I dont understand this bit and so on until I got it right remember when making up a flyer its not you who should like it , it is the customer and the feedback I got was "yep it hit the spot" "its a handy wee flyer I have it on my notice board"

Instead of flyers have you thought of cards ? more likely to be kept i find. Mainly by older types i mind add but flyers dont even get looked at and go in the bin. Perhaps they are harder to pick up so get looked at for longer :)

You beat me to it !

Yes .. but only just !!

It does show that great minds think alike though !!! :)

www.printsmarter.co.uk

Guys I forgot to add I used the printer above he was very good gave me plenty of advice and the flyers were of good quality yep I know some of you are printing some of them yourselves but for me the economics were good

Just to add I have a quite day today so I was out with my flyers I dont expect the phone to be red hot but it is like planting seeds and watching them grow so I will give you some feedback if and when I get a reply

Last edited by a moderator:
www.printsmarter.co.uk

Guys I forgot to add I used the printer above he was very good gave me plenty of advice and the flyers were of good quality yep I know some of you are printing some of them yourselves but for me the economics were good

Just to add I have a quite day today so I was out with my flyers I dont expect the phone to be red hot but it is like planting seeds and watching them grow so I will give you some feedback if and when I get a reply

I used to own a manufacturing business & employed a rep. to drum-up business.

I employed this rep for about a year until I realised that he wasn't bringing in anything like enough work to pay his wage & car expenses, so I had to let him go.

It was about a YEAR after he'd gone that the phone started ringing & the caller saying words like: "We had your rep. here the other day ...."

So yes, I agree with you .... it IS like planting seeds & watching them grow. Sometimes - as in my case - it takes a bit longer than you'd expect.

Reply to flyers in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net