Foot in the door... | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Foot in the door... in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

nick182

Hey guys..

Just out of interest can anyone tell me how to get started working in the industrial side of things?

Who to talk to? Agencies? What experience is needed.. all the info if any?

thanks..

Nick

As Tony said, there is not an easy off the cuff answer to give you. Industrial work is so diverse, you could be in a spotless environment maintaining clean automated machinery to being in the filthiest environment you can imagine, working on just as filthy plant... and then there's basically everything between. For a domestic wanting to get into the industrial side of things, personally i would think you would have to start learning the game all over again gaining the experience that you will need. Fault finding skills are going to be an absolute must, and that can be a real nightmare for some.

as above as above really,its all about experience,if you can find a contractor who does everything you might be in with a chance,tho most now probably are specific in the work they do,you can become pigeon holed into an area of work which makes it harder to move around,when i first started we done commercial/industrial and controls,i done some industrial then just controls and marine,id never get a start on domestic as id be way too slow and ive no testing experience,im thinking of doing the testing and inspection course just incase i need to move back into sparking,

I got out of the domestic side, during the flooding of a factory, with an agency (they where well aware of my previous experience) got a massive amount out of it, basket, tray, uni strut loads of armoured cables (which I had used a few times before but I certainly wouldn’t have said Id been confidant with) Splitting motors (full of water) contactors, reading schematics etc, really enjoyed it.

Its one thing saying experience, (which is the key to any job) but getting it is simply a matter of luck, and who you know

Although registering with agency's can be pretty disheartening, just choose your jobs wisely, don’t go for crap wages unless you also stand to benefit from the work/experience & make sure the people your working for know what your capable of, There is nothing worse then getting an agency worker who thinks he knows it all, then ****s it up – There is nothing wrong with asking questions.

Good luck & at the end of the day as long as you work hard, and do the job right im sure you will be alright

Joe.

A mate of mine, apprentice trained in Brymbo steelworks (now a housing estate) with 20+ years experience, works a 4 on 4 off shift (2 days 2 nights) as a spark in a drinks factory. On his days off he has plenty of offers for agency work in factory maintenance, so he does about 5 shifts a month. He gets to try out manufacturing companies, experiences different processes and has a pleasant change of scenery.

I've worked with lads who have come from house bashing, mining and contracting. Most have been ****e! The house bashers usually went back to that. The lads who made the grade were the ones who rolled their sleeves up, asked questions and showed willing. It's all about having the motivation to progress. There is dirty jobs, lazy jobs, never-ending jobs and sit-around-waiting-for jobs within industry, especially manufacturing and automation. The range of tasks you have to turn your hand to is very diverse so keeps you intrested... like bits of plumbing, welding, programming, controls wiring and pulling cables.

T'interweb is awash with good info, and sites like this with a fantastic bunch of experienced heads and knowledgable to the hilt, will help all the way as long as effort is shown.

You need to know what you want then ask away, here!

Be lucky...
s.f

At one point I found myself in the mire, needing work desperately. I had a friend that ran an agency so I gave her a call. As it turned out she needed 3 multi skilled engineers in a hurry. So after a bit of haggling I ended up with a temp contract in the ceramics industry. Totally foreign to me but needs must. I enjoyed every minute of it. Up to the eyeballs in crap all the time, pay was crap but I enjoyed it! I’ve been lucky in where ever I’ve worked (except one place). The strange thing is the one place I hated was clean!

I’ve been lucky in where ever I’ve worked (except one place). The strange thing is the one place I hated was clean!

Snap!

I tried my hand in the clicky plastics industry, Injection Moulding. You could eat your scran off the deck but the place was run by a to££pot. The place consisted of 30 odd Husky machines, all very similar or identical. Good automation systems, etc... Good H&S stats. But very very clicky.

The guy I was working with, a decent guy and spark, moved into projects whilst there. Got fed up with said to$$pots and moved on. Now he travels the world in his new role. Last I heard he was returning from Japan before shooting over to Chicago. Not bad for a spark... although he did move into Sales!

:rockon2:

Well,it's possible but its not easy.
Installation sparks generally don't make the grade at industrial faultfinding level,again it's more down to horses for courses rather than any real skill level,just a different mindset.
For example in the commercial arena as with domestic a lot rides on the presentation,which is important in the control/faultfinding world of course but really your most important aid is being able to read diagrams,it's VITALLY IMPORTANT!!!
If you can't do that,you have no chance at all,although it's not too hard to learn the basics on and quality of diagrams vary greatly,generally foreign machines have very good documentation to help you,British ones not so much,but other people may disagree.
You'll be dealing daily with WHY something doesn't work,WHAT caused it and 9/10 how QUICKLY it can be repaired,in this game time is money and very often a "sticky plaster" type repair won't be frowned on,in fact positively encouraged whereas it's usually a huge no no in installation work.
Areas I suggest looking into are 3 phase,as nearly all industrial applications use this,contactors,motors,relays,drives,plc's,proximity switches,pilz or safety relays,door safety switches,emergency stops,n/o,n/c contacts,24dc control,110ac control as these are the typical voltages I've dealt with.

Theres a lot to take in but it's a really rewarding trade,everyday is different,sometimes you can spend 8 hours tearing your hair out just to find that there's a dodgy contact on the side of a relay that's got another 15 bloody contacts,n/o,n/c on them and for some reason that one decides today it doesn't want to play.
It's a great feeling when you get something going again,particularly if it's been down all day and the heats on and YOUR the one who gets the plaudits.
It's been mentioned on here before but operators can be your best friends or your worst enemies,a good one could be even more valuable than you are!!!but one who doesn't want to play ball could leave you head scratching all shift.
That's when your faultfinding brain comes into the foreground.
I had one when I first started here,guy was totally convinced that it was a cable that had been changed that day,insisting this had happened before.
It seemed plausible to me but after proving it out,him and the manager started talking about stripping off guarding to re-run the cable!!!
A quick squint in the plc program diagram revealed a missing input,machineman was adamant that wasn't the cause but after convincing him to check it turned out that a spring latch had not quite retracted.
My point being,sometimes you need to get back to basics,think laterally,say to yourself "what do I need to make that work?" " should that input be on or off?".
It's well worth investigating but I'd say maybe a few weeks research into it all will put you in great stead for the future,as it's enabled me to own my own home,go on exotic holidays,be comfortable in my life in something I thoroughly enjoy.
Hope you can do the same.

My point being,sometimes you need to get back to basics,think laterally,say to yourself "what do I need to make that work?" " should that input be on or off?".
.[/QUOTE]

you can't really teach fault finding, but to adopt a mindset as quoted above is as good as your gonna get, another variation being, after assessing the breakdown your confronted with, ask yourself " whats happening thats not supposed to happen?" "in normal operation, what makes that happen?", that'll be your first point of call, proximity switch?, plc input from blah blah! ya get the picture.
i was told many years ago to stick with variations of those questions and you'll be okay, i haven't been beat yet! (in tomorrow nights installment of pmac's evening shift wind down, "Northern Irish plant faces meltdown!"):bigcry:

Spot on there pmac,which is why a good operative can be your saviour.
True though that some people never get it,I remember following a guy who one shift stood there and changed 4 electromagnets in a row saying " I can't believe all these were faulty!!".
It was a dud contactor,it clicked in but you could see it arcing across the phases,not once did he even consider this!!!changed it,put the original magnet back and returned the other 3 to the stores.

Spot on there pmac,which is why a good operative can be your saviour.
True though that some people never get it,I remember following a guy who one shift stood there and changed 4 electromagnets in a row saying " I can't believe all these were faulty!!".
It was a dud contactor,it clicked in but you could see it arcing across the phases,not once did he even consider this!!!changed it,put the original magnet back and returned the other 3 to the stores.

Its only a matter of time before BTEC introduce the National Certificate in Swapatronics.............:banghead:

Reply to Foot in the door... in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net