Fridge Freezer no longer cooling after being disconnected for a few weeks... | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Fridge Freezer no longer cooling after being disconnected for a few weeks... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a Baumatic BR 11.2A under-counter fridge freezer that is about 20 years old.

Never had a problem with it until I turned it off for a few weeks recently. When turning it back on, the light comes on, but there is no cooling!

I found a site that does reasonably priced spares, so am happy to throw a few quid at it as a replacement fridge freezer would cost me a good £100.

So I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of what the most likely cause of the problem could be?

I know nothing about fridge freezers, but am competent with a screwdriver and a multimeter, so am happy to be guided through any diagnosis.

Thanks in advance,
Jim

PS - The fridge freezer has never had any maintenance.

Last edited:
Is there any noise from the back when turned on?
It may have a gas leak, or the compressor is goosed.

just a fridge with an icebox, not a full fridge freezer

Not the easiest things to test, but if the light is on there is power getting somewhere. Check the thermostat is not set to off, I'd next check for power to the compressor. The start relay/thermistor might be faulty, the compressor might have become stuck from lack of use a few bops with a rubber mallet can free it again.

Those little hermetic compressors can be difficult to tell if they're running or not. Maybe try switching it off for 3 or 4 minutes then put your hand on the compressor and apply power again. See if it feels like it's starting or running and see if it makes any click noises withing the first 20 or 30 seconds.

Not the easiest things to test, but if the light is on there is power getting somewhere. Check the thermostat is not set to off, I'd next check for power to the compressor. The start relay/thermistor might be faulty, the compressor might have become stuck from lack of use a few bops with a rubber mallet can free it again.
If in doubt, hit it with a hammer and see if it gets better.
sometimes the simple solutions are the best ones!!

Reply to Fridge Freezer no longer cooling after being disconnected for a few weeks... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net