friends who needs them | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss friends who needs them in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

bugsy

Friend of mine phoned me last week and asked if I could do some disconnections on his swiwing pool as the roof had collapsed due the recent snow.
As he is an old friend and we do quite a bit for his company I agreed (although he lives 90 miles away!)

Left home at 5.30am yesterday , when I got there it was a total mess so I told him I would isolate the pool D.B - only problem garage D.B fed from this board and the garage is alarmed ( seperate from the house and also the extension sockets and lights are fed from this board so after a lot of messing about all relevent circuits in the pool area isolated , he gave me a photo cell / pir which he wanted changed that controlled the drive lights, rewire external lighting (5)
install 3 baulkheads and ip54 switch for games room lobby , replace timer on gate lights, install 5 downlighters, install switch to overide photocell on deck area, replace two sockets,
I finished at 11.30pm ( 1 bacon sarnie and three cups of coffee )
How much do I owe you mate he said ( he is the industry ) so I said , well Andy give me what you think it's worth ( he bought all the bit's apart from the down lighters - I would'nt fit the gimbles he supplied )
How much did he give me----------------------£ 150.00
I did'nt say a dickie bird - put the money in my pocket and arrived at home at 2:00am

I will make it up !!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you were unhappy with the amount he paid you perhaps you should have said a dickie bird; after all, he did ask you how much you wanted.

Friend of mine phoned me last week and asked if I could do some disconnections on his swiwing pool as the roof had collapsed due the recent snow.
As he is an old friend and we do quite a bit for his company I agreed (although he lives 90 miles away!)

Left home at 5.30am yesterday , when I got there it was a total mess so I told him I would isolate the pool D.B - only problem garage D.B fed from this board and the garage is alarmed ( seperate from the house and also the extension sockets and lights are fed from this board so after a lot of messing about all relevent circuits in the pool area isolated , he gave me a photo cell / pir which he wanted changed that controlled the drive lights, rewire external lighting (5)
install 3 baulkheads and ip54 switch for games room lobby , replace timer on gate lights, install 5 downlighters, install switch to overide photocell on deck area, replace two sockets,
I finished at 11.30pm ( 1 bacon sarnie and three cups of coffee )
How much do I owe you mate he said ( he is the industry ) so I said , well Andy give me what you think it's worth ( he bought all the bit's apart from the down lighters - I would'nt fit the gimbles he supplied )
How much did he give me----------------------£ 150.00
I did'nt say a dickie bird - put the money in my pocket and arrived at home at 2:00am

I will make it up !!

Which industry is he in?
You never say 'give what you think it's worth', that's asking for trouble.

How much would you have charged a regular customer?

Last edited by a moderator:
Which industry is he in? Interior fit out's - He knows the going rate!
You never say 'give what you think it's worth', that's asking for trouble. - I've known the guy five years and he knows what the rates are

How much would you have charged a regular customer?
£450.00 + vat

I've had this once or twice with mates, normally it's 'well the parts cost this much, so whatever you think', sometimes you get a nice little lot you wouldn't have even asked for, sometimes you get what. the parts. cost.

And then you're always 'too busy' when those friends ask in future. Unfortunately that's just all part of it.

Reply to friends who needs them in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net