From Y plan to S plan, what do you do with the cylinder stat 'satisfied' wire | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss From Y plan to S plan, what do you do with the cylinder stat 'satisfied' wire in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
The question is pretty much in the title, if you were converting from Y plan to S plan I'm not sure what you would do with the cylinder stat satisfied wire, would you simply put a connector on the other end in case it were ever needed in the future?

Thanks for any help

Down2earth

Either re cable the stat with a cable with one less core or put it in a separate terminal in the joint box on it's own. You'll also have a spare core from the programmer but depending on how everything is fed you may need to utilise that for your permanent live for the grey wires on the MVs.

Either re cable the stat with a cable with one less core or put it in a separate terminal in the joint box on it's own. You'll also have a spare core from the programmer but depending on how everything is fed you may need to utilise that for your permanent live for the grey wires on the MVs.

Thanks for that, I have used the spare core in the programmer to run a permanent live to the wiring centre for the 2 ports, I have disconnected the satisfied wire in the stat and put it in a connector block tucked out of the way, same for the other end in the wiring centre.

Thanks for that, I have used the spare core in the programmer to run a permanent live to the wiring centre for the 2 ports, I have disconnected the satisfied wire in the stat and put it in a connector block tucked out of the way, same for the other end in the wiring centre.
Unused cores of a cable should not be left disconnected at both ends as voltages can be induced in to the core. They should be either connected to earth and appropriately labelled G/Y or left connected to the supply and again appropriately labelled.

Reply to From Y plan to S plan, what do you do with the cylinder stat 'satisfied' wire in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net