Fuse board change help! | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Fuse board change help! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Mynamesmatt

So Ive just bought a house and Im going to replace the fuse board as its ancient!

Just need to be sure on what i need to buy and how i need to go about splitting circuits properly.

It looks like its a 6 way and a or 4 way (does that look right?) - pic below

So lets say we have 10 circuits.. I will also be adding 2 - maybe more. 1 for a shower and 1 for a saniflo toilet system

----

Would it be right to get one big CU to replace these two - say one big 15 way board (want to leave some spare for future) a crabtree starbreaker 15 for instance

And the next question is what is the proper way to split the circuits and what will need to be RCD protected and which will not..

At first glance i think the circuits will be as follows; Upper ring - Lower ring - Kitchen - upper lights - lower lights - shower - saniflow - boiler - alarm system

Dont hate me for my ignorance, i am an electrician but i havent touched domestic in... ever! :33::ninja:

[ElectriciansForums.net] Fuse board change help!

Also, all the cables are relatively new, all twin and earth - looks like it was rewired 5-10yrs ago but the board was lazily left out!

If theres any info ive missed just say

any help would be MUCH appreciated as i have to start digging into my wallet for materials pretty soon!

thanks!

You sure you know about electrics?

It looks like its a 6 way and a or 4 way (does that look right?) - pic below
Take off the removeable covers and have a look! It looks to me like a 'peak' fuseboard and an 'offpeak' fuseboard - clue is that there are 2 meters!

Changing a CU is notifiable work so should only be done by a Part P electrician.

I'm not being hard, just realistic in what your capabilities are, shown by your questions.

You sure you know about electrics?

Take off the removeable covers and have a look! It looks to me like a 'peak' fuseboard and an 'offpeak' fuseboard - clue is that there are 2 meters!

Changing a CU is notifiable work so should only be done by a Part P electrician.

I'm not being hard, just realistic in what your capabilities are, shown by your questions.
also top left of picture shows a timer,covered by sticker

So i could get the suppliers in to change the metering to dual.. then go ahead with one tidier board..

either that or get a double stacked CU and have a peak bus and a off peak bus?

Im a fully qualified electrician but not part P/2391. i work mainly industrial... big armoured's and panels etc.

I was planning on doing the work (&upgrading the bonding etc to part p requirements) then getting a registered body to come in and 'sign it off'

Can imagine thats going to make some peoples fists clench reading that!!.. but is that a possibility? I am on one hell of a budget you see

I was planning on doing the work (&upgrading the bonding etc to part p requirements) then getting a registered body to come in and 'sign it off'

That wll be building control @ £350 .00 then!

Ok Matt You Oughta Know, and by the looks of it you don't no part p governing body will come in and sign off this for you without you being a member (in which case you would sign it off yourself and use them to notify it).
I know it's Dumb as a qualified spark that a 5 week wonder can do this but you can't But That's Just The Way It Is but if you know someone that's registered and will do this for you then fair play. Maybe your idea about the 2 busses ain't a bad way to do it.

thanks for the info trev!

If i wasnt an electrician id obviously get someone into do the job but i could never justify getting someone in to do it when im quite capable, just because i cant sign it off..

Ill look around for someone that offers a simply certification only job and see what they say i guess.

what a pain in the --- eh!

Matt.do like countless thousands of non electricians are doing and install the job yourself and forget the part pants fiasco
It galls me to hear that qualified sparks are having to pay some "council no nothing department" in order to do what they were trained to do

If ever you decide to sell and the buyer wants a part p notification certificate and its non existent, all that happens is a condition report is accepted by nearly every solicitor, also you dont need the part p fiasco for doing those reports

Its too crazy a failed system for me to advise a qualified electrician otherwise,If he can carry out industrial installation,domestic installation is childs play in comparison

thanks for the info trev!

If i wasnt an electrician id obviously get someone into do the job but i could never justify getting someone in to do it when im quite capable, just because i cant sign it off..

Ill look around for someone that offers a simply certification only job and see what they say i guess.

what a pain in the --- eh!
Some LABCs, if you can prove you're qualified to them, will allow you to notify the job for a smaller fee but from what I can make out they are few and far between. Might be worth you asking the question though.
A building inspector once said to me in his opinion a competent person is a qualified spark so have a go with them by showing your JIB card.
Good luck mate

It's not just the physical side of changing the board matt. There is quite a lot of testing to do on a CU change (or 2), as well as the paperwork. Even if you find someone willing to test and sign off your work (and I'm sure you will), don't think you will get it done for a few quid :)

I like the way you think des!

I think ill get the suppliers in, get them to budge their stuff over/change it for a dual meter.. do the work, and then put Part P'ants on the to do list - which is currently drifting closer and closer towards the bin!!

I like the way you think des!

I think ill get the suppliers in, get them to budge their stuff over/change it for a dual meter.. do the work, and then put Part P'ants on the to do list - which is currently drifting closer and closer towards the bin!!

I see your reaction as a spark putting 2 fingers up to a stupid system.its still breaking the law,but some laws deserve to be broken

Perhaps stay in touch with the forum for any testing or building regs advise and reciprocate with your own talents

Me too, im all for dropping Part P,
which is what ive done in my house, just because ive not gone through Part P doesnt make it any more dangerous, its correctly installed and working fine
I am not part p registered and to be totally frank I have no intention of doing so. My work is mainly commercial or in a domestic situation is like for like replacements. However, my partner decided one day, while she was having a bath, that she would like one of these (stupid) white plastic ceilings and downlighters in the bathroom.
My conundrum, do I (A)As a qualified spark with 29 years post qualification experience do the job or (B)I pay someone I know who is registered to do it or (C) Pay a random (possibly) numpty to do it out of the local paper.
No points available for the right answer guys. T'is merely a discussion point

Its your house dude, do what the **** ya want with it

If you are so absolutely terrified of rulebreaking, that you wont even do electrical work in yr own house as a trained sparky then i honestly dont know how you get by in life.

Trev, you once said to me "you cant choose which rules you adhere to and which you dont IMHO"
Well I'm afraid I disagree....Noone who has ever got anywhere in life has done it without breaking the odd rule along the way

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Fuse board change help! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net