Gas Pipe Earth bonding | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Gas Pipe Earth bonding in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

dboi75

I have just been informed by my electrician that we have to bond our gas pipe. The problem is that the gas meter is within a housing on the front external wall of my house and apparently he has to connect this back to my fuse box etc which at the farthest point on the rear of the house. Running this through the house is not an option, and the only opther idea he has is to run a conduit right around the perimeter of the property which will be an eyesore! Are there any other options? Can it just be earthed straight to the ground or is this something different?

"Hello dboi75",

The Electrical Professionals on here WILL advise You correctly regarding Earthing the Gas Pipe to your Property - BUT - First a comment regarding whether the Gas Supply Pipe to the Meter is `Coming into Contact with Earth`:

Depending on the `Age` of this Gas Supply Pipe to the Meter it may NOT be a Mild Steel Pipe - The Practice of siting the Gas Meter outside a Property is a fairly recent one [Last 20 Years approx. in most cases] - This time scale would fall within the period where `Plastic` Gas Supply Pipework has been used - with Electrofusion Jointing.

So it does NOT necessarily follow that the Supply Pipe to your Meter is Mild Steel - Even if it was the Earthing of the Gas Supply Pipework FROM the Gas Meter TO your Property has to be carried out in the `Correct Manner`.

However - I did raise a point on here recently about WHY Electricians who I had used to Earth the Gas Pipework that I Install did NOT usually want to run the Earth Cable TO the Meter Box / Within 600mm of the Meter Outlet - and there were some comments about the Earth Connection being applied - `As the Pipe Enters the Building` - IF You can get confirmation of this as being an `Acceptable`/ `Within the Regulations` Method of connecting the Earth Cable to the Gas Pipework it would obviously be YOUR `Best Way` of adhering to the Electrical Safety Regulations.

Your Electrician obviously DOES NOT Feel that He can Adhere to the Regulations by doing this - OR He would have mentioned doing it this way ?

I thought that I should mention this to you - Just in case that it CAN be done this way [?]

I expect that there WILL be Conflicting Opinions about this `Method` of Earth Connection !

Chris - Registered Gas Installer / Heating Engineer.

This thread looks familiar but i will say it again earthing and bonding perform different functions E.G....
Earthing: exposed conductive parts
Bonding: extranious conductive parts
"earth bonding" dont exist...........

this is a hard problem to solve sometimes, there is an option that i use in extreme cases when the run to the consumer unit is a long distance around the outside of the house and would otherwise look an eyesore, where the customer is not very happy with it, i use 10mm single core black cable clipped to the outside of the building and when the cable goes through the wall, back inside or to the meter i through crimp it back to 10mm earth cable, this then looks much more discreet and presentable than pvc conduit, however it must be noted that this is contrary to the regs as the cable should be green/yellow through out its length but the way i see it its the less of two evils, at least your bonding is in place and your safe, people paint cables too anyway so i see it as a minor infringement
you could try Speaking to your electrician and see if he would consider this method

ok here it comes, begin the flaming...............

Reply to Gas Pipe Earth bonding in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net