Getting 'back' into the industry.. | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Getting 'back' into the industry.. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello all - my first post. I'm looking to get 'back' into the industry, or on the tools should I say and looking for opinions on the best route to do so.

A little about me, I started my career as an electrical apprentice and a few years after, working in a manufacturing setting. My main skills were in LV installation, maintenance, PLCs, Drives and general manufacturing processes.

After leaving that company I joined one of the main electrical manufacturers and have worked there since in various technical/commercial roles. I'm now at the point where I'd like to depart and set my own company up, contracting, maintenance, energy monitoring and so on. Works would be in a mix of domestic but mainly commercial/industrial.

Some of my quals:
Time served apprenticeship
NVQ3 Electrical Maint
17th Edition (13 years ago!)
Few outdated courses - PAT, safety etc.

My question, which I'm looking for advice on is where is best to start?
Certification with NICEIC/Napit, 18th edition, inspection and testing etc?

Any thoughts and advice really welcome. Thank you!

Hello all - my first post. I'm looking to get 'back' into the industry, or on the tools should I say and looking for opinions on the best route to do so.

A little about me, I started my career as an electrical apprentice and a few years after, working in a manufacturing setting. My main skills were in LV installation, maintenance, PLCs, Drives and general manufacturing processes.

After leaving that company I joined one of the main electrical manufacturers and have worked there since in various technical/commercial roles. I'm now at the point where I'd like to depart and set my own company up, contracting, maintenance, energy monitoring and so on. Works would be in a mix of domestic but mainly commercial/industrial.

Some of my quals:
Time served apprenticeship
NVQ3 Electrical Maint
17th Edition (13 years ago!)
Few outdated courses - PAT, safety etc.

My question, which I'm looking for advice on is where is best to start?
Certification with NICEIC/Napit, 18th edition, inspection and testing etc?

Any thoughts and advice really welcome. Thank you!

Hi mate,

It all depends on the work you want to do domestically. If you want to do notifiable works then you’ll need to be registered with a CPS and unfortunately your NVQ3 in Electrical Maintenance isn’t recognised by the CPS (I’m in the same boat).

If you just want to do minor works domestically then you don’t need to be part of a CPS. No requirement for Industrial and Commercial. Although a client may want a sparks who is registered with a CPS.

Napit take on sparks that aren’t going to do notifiable domestic jobs through EAS.

From Napit’s website:
HOW EAS RELATES TO CPS
For anyone wanting to demonstrate competence to carry out non-domestic electrical installation (or domestic installation outside the scope of Part P) your membership would fall within the scope of EAS alone.

I think you’ll have to have 18th Edition & 2391-52 though.

If you did want to do notifiable domestic work then I think you’ll have to do the experienced worker NVQ and AM2E as well as the 18th Edition & 2391-52.

Hope this helps.

If I’m wrong on something I’m sure someone will correct me.

Hi mate,

It all depends on the work you want to do domestically. If you want to do notifiable works then you’ll need to be registered with a CPS and unfortunately your NVQ3 in Electrical Maintenance isn’t recognised by the CPS (I’m in the same boat).

If you just want to do minor works domestically then you don’t need to be part of a CPS. No requirement for Industrial and Commercial. Although a client may want a sparks who is registered with a CPS.

Napit take on sparks that aren’t going to do notifiable domestic jobs through EAS.

From Napit’s website:
HOW EAS RELATES TO CPS
For anyone wanting to demonstrate competence to carry out non-domestic electrical installation (or domestic installation outside the scope of Part P) your membership would fall within the scope of EAS alone.

I think you’ll have to have 18th Edition & 2391-52 though.

If you did want to do notifiable domestic work then I think you’ll have to do the experienced worker NVQ and AM2E as well as the 18th Edition & 2391-52.

Hope this helps.

If I’m wrong on something I’m sure someone will correct me.
Thanks mate for the advice, this is just what I was looking for. I think I’ll have to put some thought into the domestic route due to the NVQ and AM2E!! Thanks again

Reply to Getting 'back' into the industry.. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net