Getting main fuse pulled?? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Getting main fuse pulled?? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

ollie_C

Hi guys,

Ive had an absolute mare with this so thought i'd ask you guys...

im trying to get the main fuse pulled from a meter ata clients house so that I can fit an isolator and change the CU, (although the CU will be done at a later date).

Ive been going around the houses trying to get someone out to do this! Ive spoken to the bill supplier (Eon) and theyve told me I need to go to the DNO (EDF), EDF have then told me to go back to Eon! I always thought it was the DNOs job but now im doubting myself!

Ive spent a fair few hours on the phone trying to sort this now, mostly to 0845 numbers!!
[ElectriciansForums.net] Getting main fuse pulled??
I can now understand the temptation to pull the thing yourself! Ive laso read on other sites that when I (eventually) get someone out, they will want certification for work done...what is the relevant cert for installing an isolator?? are they expecting tests to be done??

We had this problem at first, it's hard to get permission to do this no matter how nicely you ask. There is a solution though. DNO's don't want to be wined and dined, they want to be manhandled.

Now the conversation usually goes like so:
"Hello there lovely people at eon, i'm an electrician and i'm about to cut your meter tag so i can safely do some work. You may want to send somebody to retag it after i'm done."
"Oh. Are you a qualified electrician?"
"Yes, i have all the qualifications required for this work. Would you like me to send them?"
"No that's fine, we'll send somebody out next week."

Then make manly crotch thrusts and state how you will never call them back.

Firsty 0845 numbers, There is a lovely website called 0870 alternative. Bang the number in there and you get the landline equivalent

As for cutting the seals. I had the annoying phone call the first time I called the DNO. After 20 minutes getting through to someone I spoke to one guy. Here's how it went..

Me.. I am needing someone to remove the main service fuse as I require is isolated in order to change the Consumer unit
DNO guy.. Can you not just switch in off by the fuseboard, You know the thing with all the switches on?
Me.. The thing with the switches on, Really. I presume your preferring to the consumer unit which i intend to change
DNO guy.. I have never herd of this before. can i check with a colleague?
Me.. Right
DNO guy 2... So i understand you need the supply isolated
Me.. Yes (The penny has dropped)
DNO guy 2.. Well we are really busy
Me.. But I need it isolated
DNO guy 2... But we are really really busy.. Are you a qualified electrician ?
Me.. Yes are you suggesting i remove the fuse myself?
Dno guy 2.. No your not allowed that is our property
Me.. So when are you coming round
Dno guy 2.. We are really busy can i call you back
Me.. OK

Any way after i put the phone call i realised that the seals were already cut and the fuse fell out, I think this whole main service fuse issue is a real problem. Working on a domestic property and changing a CU, how can we arrange at sort notice for this to be done?

I dont think you are ever going to end up in court for doing it, If i did then i would be quoting the electricity at work regulations..

Anyway just to confirm i have cut no seal, Every job i have been to has allready had them removed

ya know what, i think i must be working to hard or something...now that i really think about it...i dont think there are any seals...and the fuse DID look like it was half way out already...best not shut the door to the cupboard to hard ay!

I fitted a new board on Saturday for my Girlfriends parents. Rang SSE on Friday to tell them I was going to cut the seals, "ring the provider". Rang co-op energy to tell them, " nothing to do with us, ring the DNO" Can't say I didn't try....

It's so rare to see seals these days. I reckon they used inferior lead back then and it perished so much over the years it fell off the wire. It's funny how fast they come out when you phone them to say there aren't any seals :wink5:

Cant remember last time I saw a seal think it was in some book that my tutor showed me many years ago. Perhaps one day I may be lucky and find one. Does anyone have a good picture of these items of possible fiction, bit like finding father Xmas in the fireplace or the tooth fairy.

Ok here is how it worked for me 2 weeks ago called in past our local hydro station office told them I was going to replace the cu's in the premises and gave them the address they said ok here is a temporary seal for you to fit when you are done and we will resell it when we next read the meter. I had to give my name address and qualification in return they gave me a sticker to go across the fuse and the holder as easy as.

There are advantages to living on an island where your face is known everywhere I have even moved hydro supplies before when they could not get there to do it I do it live then they come and reseal but a few of them have said there is no way they would have done it the way I do lol makes a difference when you respect the power in the cable. Good luck guys.

I dont as you guys say years ago. Broke the seals and told them i done it, only difference was it wasnt long before they send the guy around and I was there... (sweb then) but i knew this guy and he was a complete jobsworth arse...
Ive always wondered what words he used the next time he looked in his tool bag for his crimpers, tin of seals, and the huge roll of non removable stickers :) :) ... even he'd be suprised at the number of meters he's sealed since "lossing" his crimpers....

Seal, what seal? :D

I'm confused as to why we're discussing wildlife on an electricians forum.

I went to my girls family holiday home in Norfolk not long ago, we took a boat trip to see the seals. Got some great photos, but to my disappointment they weren't going "argh argh" or bouncing beach balls on their noses...

Why people think one would fit in a meter cupboard I don't know...

I fitted a new board on Saturday for my Girlfriends parents. Rang SSE on Friday to tell them I was going to cut the seals, "ring the provider". Rang co-op energy to tell them, " nothing to do with us, ring the DNO" Can't say I didn't try....

Wonder they didn't try to sell you some freezer bag seals.

many years ago a girlfriends dad used to make the sealing pliers at the company he worked for(bicc)he got me the tools for most crimps but the sealing pliers were impossible to get,apparently all the serial numbers were noted down and a record kept of which board they were sent to.

Reply to Getting main fuse pulled?? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net