Grade 2 listed building work | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Grade 2 listed building work in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

Thunderpants

Hoping to have some work coming up on a grade 2 listed building. Its in good condition, it was the village store, must of had some recent work as the board is fairly new. I was wondering if you guys have worked on listed buildings and if there are any differences I should be aware of.

Thanks

I have worked on a few listed buildings and they can be a pain. The best thing to do is make a detailed plan and go through it with the powers that be.

There will be things that you will not be able to do so you will have to use your imagination how to get round them.

Most of the time they are looking to retain the original finish, so this is things like coving, plaster, stone work etc.

Most grade 2 refurbishment work is expensive so if you factor this into your price you should be fine.

A lot of people cant be bother with the extra work involved but it can be very rewarding.

Why avoid it, I see it as premium work just needs more consultation than other work. The problem is that every area of the country has a different way of dealing with it. The worst area I've worked is Wales, the Cadw can be a real pain but solutions can be found that gets the job done even if it takes months

The real challenge is coming up with solutions and get rounds that meet both the clients needs and the heritage dept's and gets the job done

One tip don't give the client a fixed price for the work and detail exactly what you are doing for the quoted price and variations and abortive work are chargeable as is the time spent in meetings and ommissions deducted, use a duplicate book to track variations in the job ( similar to the architects instructions that are issued on large sites ) get the client to sign it then its a copy for you and one for him as soon as possible price the variation and advise the additional cost or saving to the client, that way you both know where you are up to and arguements will hopefully be avoided

Last edited:
like others have said you really need to check what is and isnt protected but as long as you price high to allow for the messing about and stopping and starting while things get ok'd or changed etc you should be ok

Result: I turned the work down. The customer turned nasty when I explained the potential problems involved in the work, I think he wanted to avoid some of the details involved and get a quick job done. "Why do you need to register your work?", "Everybody in the village gets electrical work done everyday in their listed homes", " The architect said just carry out the work in accordance with Part P" were some of the arguments. I tried to explain what NAPIT had advised, to no avail. How to get a bad rep without doing any work!! I am glad I walked away.

i think some customers are more hassle than the listed buildings. i could have had some before but the guy was a nightmare. turns out he just went ahead and just did what he wanted...... well until the councils inforcement officer that had a relative in the same village turned up. they took exception to his lets just do it attitude and there was even talk of him being sent down. in the end it cost him a packet and he ended up living in a mobile home in his garden for a good 2 years whilst the council tooth picked every part of his plans. sometimes best off out of it mate.

Reply to Grade 2 listed building work in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net