Grade A ld2 fire alarm system | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Grade A ld2 fire alarm system in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

smiffy911

Hello all,
I have been tasked with quoting for a complete rewire to a large 3 storey house.
As part of the install is a requirement to install a grade A ld2 fire alarm system.
I have never before installed a fire alarm system to grade A.
I am a part p registered electrician with 20 years experience.
In your opinion is this a job I could take on with ease or should I maybe sub the fire alarm system out to a security contractor?
Thanks for your replies.

If you you have any daubts sub it. It has to be right, in these situations we design it and submit the drawings for approval, then the sparkys install all the cabling to drawings. Finally we supply, commision and handover...we find this the best way all round partnership.

If you you have any daubts sub it. It has to be right, in these situations we design it and submit the drawings for approval, then the sparkys install all the cabling to drawings. Finally we supply, commision and handover...we find this the best way all round partnership.

Thanks for your reply.
Do you think most fire alarm installers would be happy with the sparks installing the cables for them? Cheers

Most defiently, it makes our job a lot easier, if we have a few large contracts on, its very hard and costly to supply all the labour required. Plus most of our work comes from electrical contractors.

Hello all,
I have been tasked with quoting for a complete rewire to a large 3 storey house.
As part of the install is a requirement to install a grade A ld2 fire alarm system.
I have never before installed a fire alarm system to grade A.
I am a part p registered electrician with 20 years experience.
In your opinion is this a job I could take on with ease or should I maybe sub the fire alarm system out to a security contractor?
Thanks for your replies.

Much as Tazz says - if you're not sure of what you're doing, make sure you get someone who is involved.

I'd approach a local fire company or two, and again like Tazz says, get them to design or confirm the design if you're working from plans, give you advice on install (or ask them for a price for it), and then get them to do the commission and certification.

The risk would fall entirely on you if it's wrong. That is, if you take the given design, install it as is, and then certify it as being BS5839-6:2004 compliant at Grade A, Category LD2 - it's your neck everyone will come down on if it's wrong, and worse, if something happens.

That you could do the first fix, and probably a majority of the second fix isn't an issue - what is, is knowing you've done it correctly. I'm totally with Tazz on this one, as we work similarly.

As a side note, if someone has requested a specific category and grade of fire system - have they done plans too? I mean ,what you say broadly fits - the "spec" sounds right for the building - as in large 3 storey house/Grade A LD2 - but there is a great deal to take account of, and probably more so when designing from plans, and not in an built environment. Things change too.

If done right, there's money to be made for you and a contractor, and you all go home at night - if done wrong, in a very worst case, someone could be spending a year or two in prison time - that's the scale of the decision you're making.

Thanks for your reply.
Do you think most fire alarm installers would be happy with the sparks installing the cables for them? Cheers

Again, as Tazz says, absolutely - the cabling is rarely the difficult part of the work. I, like Tazz have known many electrical contractors do the cable work to design.

Reply to Grade A ld2 fire alarm system in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net