Grade D fire alarm system in office space | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Grade D fire alarm system in office space in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

AdamKerr88

I'm on a job at the moment in a old detached house that has been converted into a office share building ( 6 small offices that would suit 1-2 people per office) this is spread over 3 floors and includes two small tea stations.

The customer has their own safety company involved who have told the client that a mains powered interlinked system or grade d system would be sufficient protection for the building, they have requested that the detectors are placed on landings and inside offices. The are no detectors spec'd for the two tea stations and nothing in the areas that form part of the fire escape route and no break glasses at the exits.

I re spec'd the system with a conventional panel and the detectors installed to LD3 ( detectors in landings, escape routes and break glasses at each fire exit etc but no detectors in the offices). They have come back to me and asked for the grade d system to be installed as per their guys specification.

Personally I have only seen grade d systems (or part 6) installed in dwellings, in my experience they are not installed in commercial properties as they don't meet the requirements of bs5839 for a building used for this purpose, no call points etc.

Has anybody ever been asked to install or has installed one in a small commercial property ?

All commercial premises where there are employees or general public, must contain a fire alarm to BS5839 part 1 not part 6.
would serious suggest the company get a professional risk assessment done along side a fire officers report.

All commercial premises where there are employees or general public, must contain a fire alarm to BS5839 part 1 not part 6.
would serious suggest the company get a professional risk assessment done along side a fire officers report.

Agreed, however they are telling me they have had one done by this chap who is owns a safety company, I have informed them already it a grade d system will not comply to part 1.

Would you refuse to install the system on the grounds it doesn't comply as they are intending to use the building as office space ?

As long as your not signing the design, install or commissioning certificates, then do the job as in this day and age not many of use can afford to turn down work.....but dont sign this off, or your heads on the line. I`ve commented abaut this issue so many times on this forum and always refere back to CO-OP being fined £250k twice in 5 years after 2 fires in there southern shops, worth googling to read the full report.

Reply to Grade D fire alarm system in office space in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net