Handy | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Handy in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

ezzzekiel

Dont do a great deal of commercial so just want to check on next job:

its a new business so as usual money is tight

want 3x hand driers for toilets (restaurant) they paid quite a bit for them (on lease i think) and were told they needed a spur from ring for each drier.

they dont know the exact details of the dryer but from the info i got i think 16kw each and two would need to come from same socket so a 13a fcu feeding two and a bit much for ring after adding other dryer and everything else on the ring.

So suggest new circuit but they cant have any chasing (as usual) so new 2.5 radial on 20a feeding all three dryers (bit close to ib but they unlikely to be on at same time or for very long)

anyways surfacemount outlets and labelled as dryers and cable run in trunking to 20asquared (as there is a spare 20 at db)
do you think rcd/ bo would be necc.

Normally as its surface and labelled i would say no but with it being in public toilets id say yes but looking for cheapest option.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would RCD without doubt, especially in a public building.

No need for sep circuit, as these dryers will only operate for around a minute, but of course, that does depend on existing load.

Less than the time to boil a kettle :D

And im sure you mean 1.6kW.

16a rad for each rcbo
expensive way of having hand dryers leasing #500 will get you a dyson blast dryer or exocet dryer

oops 1.6Kw each
proposed the new circuit as its proberly easier and less surface mounting visible (run around ceiling) and will be difficult/ more expensive to provide rcd for each outlet.Also existing sockets are flush so trunking from them without either flush mounting original boxes or chasing walls.

so figure easiest way would be 20a squared rcbo feeding radial or from existing 20a into a standalone rcd then onto outlets.

alternatively 13a rcd spur feeding 2 outlets plates and seperate rcd spur feeding other outlet then surface mount cables so apart from the 2x 1.6 driers on one 13a spur (which are just over the 13a but not on for long like Jason said then everything should comply and cheapest option.

we usually mount unsw.spurs at high level and drop conduit chased in if poss. and finish with end box behind drier, if it,s surface drop conduit down close to side of drier finish with compression gland level with bottom of drier &very short flex into bottom entry.

yours benji

the only prob is rcd requirement - could fit rcd spurs at ceiling height then trunking down to surface connection plates ready for connection. (although ring could already be rcd protected but i doubt it)

Mainly trying to do it with minimal damage all new tiled - usual problems

i would just fit the rcd fcus a ceiling level. i had to double take with the 16kw when i first read it :) i was thinking you would do well on 2.5 for that load. not long replaced a load of these as some person worse for the affects of drink decided to rip a load of them of the walls in the toilets. all 10 of them :) kept me busy for a while. i like those dyson ones that you dip your hands in and they come back dry in 5 seconds or so

the Dyson ones require a realy good fixing if subjected to vandalisim as they are U shaped another problem Eddies pointed out was some wee scrote put fine sand in a dryer in pub result next person to use it got hands Sand Blasted exocert ones are "down draft" and seem to fit same fixings as newlec /PHS/World dryer ones

Reply to Handy in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net