Hanging a 30kg Chandelier | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Hanging a 30kg Chandelier in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi need to hang a 30KG chandelier on a metal stud in a new build apartment. I’m not used to hanging such a heavy light on metal joist so a bit unsure on how to approach this

Im thinking of drilling 3 8mm holes through the metal stud and adding 3x toggle bolts which are rated at 30KG each to latch onto the metal joist. What would you guys do. Would my way be ok or is there a better way

When you say metal stud do you mean an RSJ (rolled steel beam) or metal stud as in trunking/ceiling grid.

It's hard to say what to do without knowing what you're actually fixing it too. The fixing could be sufficient but what it's fixed to might not be. Any chance of a picture?

[ElectriciansForums.net] Hanging a 30kg Chandelier

Before you even think about installing this weight of fitting you need to establish what the design loading of the ceiling frame actually is, without this you could end up with that Del Boy moment.
Any excessive point loading could cause deflections across the ceiling or it could sag where the load is attached, for fitting of that weight I would be looking to get some studs back to the solid ceiling structure to minimise the grid loading

In the past with framed or suspended ceilings at the design on install stage we have requested the ceiling fixers install more fixings to accomodate the extra load of the light fittings being installed or put our own fixings in before the ceiling is completed to accomodate unusual fittings like this

Before you even think about installing this weight of fitting you need to establish what the design loading of the ceiling frame actually is, without this you could end up with that Del Boy moment.
Any excessive point loading could cause deflections across the ceiling or it could sag where the load is attached, for fitting of that weight I would be looking to get some studs back to the solid ceiling structure to minimise the grid loading

In the past with framed or suspended ceilings at the design on install stage we have requested the ceiling fixers install more fixings to accomodate the extra load of the light fittings being installed or put our own fixings in before the ceiling is completed to accomodate unusual fittings like this
Appreciate it my friend in terms of finding out the load of the ceiling frame how would I go about doing that. Never had this problem before so unsure how to go about it

When you say metal stud do you mean an RSJ (rolled steel beam) or metal stud as in trunking/ceiling grid.

It's hard to say what to do without knowing what you're actually fixing it too. The fixing could be sufficient but what it's fixed to might not be. Any chance of a picture?

I was going to post that haha

Could you post another picture of where those bolts go into the concrete?
I'm assuming they are going into concrete, but I can't see...

It may be possible to reinforce the ceiling frame with an M10 and chain (you may need to rod either side directly next to light fitting)

Or threaded rod using the wall plug from a concrete fixing

This would be drilled through existing frame directly where the light fitting is to go.

Alternatively you could fix something like this

And come from that point with a chain.

Again without being able to see it, I'm just trying to give some options. Threaded rods can also be attached to these

using a connector

Not sure if any of this helps but I certainly would not trust that frame to hold it like it is.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As above - I don't see how you will be able to rely on a single point of that frame sipporting 30kg. If it was me who had installed the frame then I would void any warranty

Priar to the suspended ceiling going up, IMO an RSJ should have been installed and the shandy chain to it. 30KG is a lot of weight.

I think I would bolt a 1m length of unistrut to the ceiling using 4 x M10 expanding wall bolts as above.
then from the centre of the unistrut put an M10 or M12 eye bolt in to hang the chain from.

Appreciate it my friend in terms of finding out the load of the ceiling frame how would I go about doing that. Never had this problem before so unsure how to go about it
Ask the architect or better still the ceiling installation company they may point you towards the manufacturers of the ceiling frame and or fixings

Or you could always load test the the ceiling with one of these Home - https://www.hydrajaws.co.uk/

Reply to Hanging a 30kg Chandelier in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net