Heaters | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Heaters in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

lee mcgregor

I have to price a job which involves the wiring of 41 x 2kw heaters 8 x 1kw heaters 1x 3kw heater but the owner want to be able to control these via a time clock with the option of 1hr boost time . Right now they have central heating in but due to major problems the owner is wanting this stripped out .... now this comes in at 374amps roughly .....around 124 amps per phase he says he has a 400amp busbar i can come off of but im a bit concerned its a bit border line with all the other equipment thats in this offices ... im seeing it on tuesday to get a proper look at what he has , does anybody have any experience on the most important things i should be checking for ?? should i carry out load test on each phase to see what there currently pulling ...any thing else? thanks

I suppose wire 3 to a thermostat, across each phase.
Maybe 3x fan heaters in the ceilings (again spread across each phase) to provide a boost.
I've seen this done with plinth heaters before in a bar, which could probably be mounted on the suspended ceiling.

I have to price a job which involves the wiring of 41 x 2kw heaters 8 x 1kw heaters 1x 3kw heater but the owner want to be able to control these via a time clock with the option of 1hr boost time . Right now they have central heating in but due to major problems the owner is wanting this stripped out .... now this comes in at 374amps roughly .....around 124 amps per phase he says he has a 400amp busbar i can come off of but im a bit concerned its a bit border line with all the other equipment thats in this offices ... im seeing it on tuesday to get a proper look at what he has , does anybody have any experience on the most important things i should be checking for ?? should i carry out load test on each phase to see what there currently pulling ...any thing else? thanks

Best thing at this stage is to wait until you have physically seen the job!! No reason why you can't clamp the tails to see what there drawing. But you would need to do this several times over the course of the day, making sure you cover the properties peak load times, to enable you to get a better or at least more meaningful idea of the supplies present current demands...

Always better in these circumstances to ensure the heaters incorporate thermostat control, or better still wire through thermostats/contactor arrangement. What sort of establishment are we talking about here by the way?? I wonder if the owner is aware of the running costs of such a heating installation. It's a crude and very expensive system, if this is going to be used for the day to day heating requirements of the building. Or is heater system only going to be used occasionally on say, an as required basis??

Enigineer ; its an oil company and to what i believe at moment is that they have central heating with big industrial boilers, but cause they aren't working properly the have been on 24/7 for the last few years!!! nuts to think this companys bills. I tried to explain the costs in this but he still seems to want to go ahead based on happy with price . Although he wants to be able to control whole system they will still be on say from 8 till 5 i would imagine esp in winter ...

Reply to Heaters in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net